NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugged by bugs  (Read 143 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Bugged by bugs
« on: May 06, 2003, 02:35:37 PM »

my wife & I went over to Whitehorse & did Standard up to the Lunch Ledge on Monday. the weather was beautiful & the temperature perfect. she led the pitch from the top of the arch to the ledge & when she was making the moves up the dike wasps were buzzing 'round her head. there were more on the ledge as well. when I got up there I could see a bug nest about 6' up and 1' right of the bolt anchors under a crack. it's just left of the 3 pin anchor so be very careful. I could also see a lot more in the cracks above. they were slow 'cause of the chilly morning earlier, but they will be agressive as things warm up.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

xmikeyx

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • The Patron Saint of Engineering
Re: Bugged by bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 02:55:30 PM »

would people freak if someone headed up there with a can of raid and 86'ed the nest? would that be destroying nature (like bolting)?

i'm just posing the question because i'm curious what people think. personally i wouldn't do it, 'cause i like little animals and it's not necessary to my survival to get rid of them. i just won't climb that route. but if they were on my house i'd let the little buggers have it, with my epi-pen in my pocket the whole time.  :) would anyone do it? or would everyone let nature do it's thing?

i bet the nest is already gone by now.
Climb hard, climb smart or fall...That's all there is to it.

Bryan

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 05:00:48 PM »

I feel taking bug kill up a cliff and killing some poor bees in their house is a little bit aggressive.  Bees are an important part of our eco-system and they have to live somewhere.  I can't think of a more secluded place for a bee to live than several hundred feet off the ground on some granite!
 I do agree that if I found some in MY house their day's would be few.  
Cheers
Bryan

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 06:53:04 AM »

I agree...in this case we're the unwanted visitors in their house...definitely no need to kill 'em.  Especally since, if you keep even a minimum distance from their nest, they won't take any notice of you.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Edge

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 04:33:17 PM »

Personally I'd say nuke the little b@st@rds.  While they don't particularly bother me, I'd hate to hear about some unsuspecting visitor with an allergy go into shock 3 pitches up because they don't have an epi pen with them.  While they may not be aggressive now, they will be soon as things warm up more and they are building their condos.  Besides, these are not honeybees, doing mankind a service by pollinating our zucchinis, these are wasps.

By the way, from climbing at the Gunks I have found that if they are buzzing you, it is possible to kill them in mid-air with a sharp blow from an open hand; a guidebook works even better.  Just don't miss, 'cause that just gets 'em angry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.