NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this sort of camping permitted?  (Read 152 times)

John C

Is this sort of camping permitted?
« on: May 06, 2003, 11:27:36 PM »

I've searched this site and found no answer.  I've been told that it is "permitted" to do "guerilla camping" at cathedral ledge..  This means pitching a tent around 10-11pm and getting up and out around 7-8 am.  This involves paying no fee.

So I'm looking for the plain info here.  thx.

Erik N

Re: Is this sort of camping permitted?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 06:06:54 AM »

Cathedral and Whitehorse Ledge are part of Echo Lake State Park.  The park does not allow any camping.  Some of the land below the Ledges is private property and you would have to seek their permission, but since camping is not permitted or regulated, nearby homeowners are concerned with fires, parties, and other disturbances.  The local police and the State Park patrol the area.    
  It would be nice if the State Park offered a walk in camping area for climbers.

nick

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • climb
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 08:28:32 AM »

Camping at Rumney

Somebody know what is telephone number of the person where you can put a tent in is field.

Thanks
Nick

xmikeyx

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • The Patron Saint of Engineering
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 02:42:35 PM »

It would be cool if the state made a set of walk in campsites at Cathedral Ledge, but as was said before, I'm sure it would piss off the locals trying to get a decent nights sleep (remember climbers wouldn't be the only ones using it).
All in all the camping on the Kank (Blackberry campground I think is the closest one) is about 10 miles away from the cliffs, and that's really not too far when you think about it. Nice campsites, beautiful scenery and no rangers knocking on your car window at 6AM. And best of all it doesn't screw up access.  ;D

As far as Rumney goes, I don't really think the people living across from the parking lot want 100's of climbers calling them looking for campsites, so I wouldn't ask for their number to be posted. But if you just go and knock on their door at a reasonable hour (pre 8PM) and talk to them they will point out where you can stay in the field on their property. I think it's like $5 a night that they ask for, which is a pretty good deal. Try to get them early in the day and if they're not around just come back later. If they're still not around find another place to camp instead of squatting without permission on their lawn. There's a big campground in Franconia Notch about 20-30 minutes away or you could find some cute co-ed to share a room with in Plymouth.  ;)

Enjoy...
Climb hard, climb smart or fall...That's all there is to it.

Dick Clark

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 08:22:18 PM »

There is a lot of nearby houses at Cathedral , so any guerilla tactics will definitely eventually give climbers a bad name. But, The Land Of Many Uses is just up the road. One of the better uses (besides setting drunken white gas fires) is camping . Guerillas, chimps ,basically anyone can partake(go easy with dogs though). I have parked and camped near Pink Ham Notch and that was okay. The best spot is the Covered Bridge Campground on the Kanc at the base of Sundown, just down the road from Woodchuck.

Ivan_Chomkin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 08:08:13 PM »

guys the point of guerilla camping is that you DON'T get caught or noticed...if you can manage that then there's no problem.

I do it all the time...the key is to be far enough into the woods that people can't see you, and even if they know you're there it's too much of a pain in the ass to bother you. But obviously it's best that no one notices.

I won't tell you where exactly I do it, but I can say that it's in the vicinity of Cathedral ledge, no more than half hour walk from the climbs.

Fred Keith

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 07:06:41 AM »

Ivan, one need only read any of the rags and publications to see that climbing areas being restricted / shut-down etc to realize that poaching campsites and otherwise "dirtbagging" like we all used to do is not so cool anymore.

We're all kind-of-bummmed that, due to popularity of the sport, it's not like the 70s anymore and you can't just plop down, crack a cold one and bivy.

The Access Fund and others spend $$s trying to undo alot of this.

Yes...the rule of anytype of poaching is don't get caught, but the unwritten law is that your part of the problem and not the solution.

Soapbox out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.