NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fees/Fees/Fees  (Read 292 times)

Doug R

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Let's have fun out there!
Re: Fees/Fees/Fees
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2003, 07:52:21 AM »

It seems to me that the $20 fee is a short term fix for a chronic budgetary problem in regard to how the federal government manages access and use of public lands. I think the point of the access fund, by disagreeing with the fee, is that management of these lands should be funded by our tax dollars and that this is an issue with that has long term implications. We can be self serving and agree to pay the $20 fee now but by my understanding of Lizzybee and Tomcat's posts it is a failed program and future user's of these lands will not have the same experience that we do now because of big business/corporate contracts will Disney-ize them.
If the $20 fee actually covered the cost of maintenance and preservation then I would not have a problem with it (nor would the AF I think). But according to what I've read so far it is only compounding the problem.
I have also been visiting WMNF since the mid '70's and I've enjoyed each and every visit to the area whether I'm climbing, backpacking or back country skiing. I want my kids to have the same experience that I have enjoyed without having to (eventually) shell out more $ only to be greeted by corporate rangers hawking their logo's and all that they stand for.
I hope the AF will work with other groups (AMC, Sierra Club, American Whitewater, etc...) in regards to this issue to come up with a solution, There are lots of other people and user's aside from climbers who will be affected.

DougR

bge

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Mmmmmm... pointy.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2003, 11:02:34 AM »

Just FYI, here is the link to the AF's official position on the Fee Demo program:

http://www.accessfund.org/whoweare/who_about_pos_recfees.html
"Good people drink good beer, bad people drink bad beer." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Tomcat

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2003, 07:47:40 AM »

CC, Lizzy and others say it better, but here's my 2 cents. I think the 20.00, or as I like to look at it, the 3.00 per day is only the tip of the iceberg/phallus. The first step in the federal agenda is to condition the public to paying a seemingly nominal fee, like your 20.00 defrayed over a whole year. Not too many people complain,the gov't puts out a propaganda program,as they have, that implies, falsely, that everyone finds it acceptable, and Congress moves to lock it in. Next step, ratchet up the price, eventually declaring that it would be better for us all to privatise the operation, and it is available to the highest bidder, enter the mouse ears.My opinion is that is a sorry nation that thinks  access to National Forests should be a pay to use option, and that we need to say NO to the program and get Congress to understand that the preservation of free public lands is a national priority. The USFS budget is appx 3 billion a year, and just 10% goes to recreation, so it is just a matter of priorities . I figured someone would bring up Rumney, is there climbing there? Just kidding, someone stole the iron bandit, that makes my day! You mentioned your offense at the 50.00 fee in Jersey, I am guessing that would be at the Water Gap. As I recall that started out the same way, in the beginning you just had to "register", like you do now to climb in Acadia. First step, condition the public...that is the damage the 20.00 does, it goes along with the agenda.

Tomcat

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2003, 08:34:27 AM »

P.S you can get more info at wildwilderness.org

Doug R

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Let's have fun out there!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2003, 09:55:46 AM »

Tom,
thanks for the heads up on the link. It was very informative!

DougR
:o :)
DougR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.