Author Topic: Who Really Is Racist?  (Read 1366 times)

climbhardclimbhigh

Who Really Is Racist?
« on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:09 PM »
I am not trying to make a point here i just am wondering what everyone else out there thinks about this.  inteligent conversation please!

How many are actually paying attention to this?

>>  >There are African Americans, Mexican Americans,

>>  >Asian Americans, Arab Americans, Native Americans, etc.

>>  >And then there are just Americans.

>>  >You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction.

>>  >You Call me "White boy," "Cracker," "Honkey,"

>>  >"Whitey," "Caveman" and that's OK.

>>  >But when I call you, Nigger, Kike, Towel head, Sand-nigger, 

>>  >Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink ... you call me a racist.

>>  >You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, 

>>  >so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live? 

>>  >You have the United Negro College Fund. 

>>  >You have Martin Luther King Day.

>>  >You have Black History Month. 

>>  >You have Cesar Chavez Day.

>>  >You have Yom Hashoah. 

>>  >You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi. 

>>  >You have the NAACP.

>>  >You have BET.

>>  >If we had WET (White Entertainment Television).. We'd be
racists.

>>  >If we had a White Pride Day.. You would call us racists. 

>>  >If we had White History Month.. We'd be racists.

>>  >If we had any organization for only whites to "advance"

>>  >OUR lives.. We'd be racists.

>>  >We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 

>>  >a Black Chamber of Commerce,

>>  >and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. 

>>  >Wonder who pays for that? 

>>  >If we had a college fund that only gave white students
scholarships

>>  >YOU know we'd be racists. 

>>  >There are over 60 openly proclaimed

>>  >Black Colleges in the US, yet if there were "White colleges" 

>>  >THAT would be a racist college. 

>>  >In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching 

>>  >for your race and rights.

>>  >If we marched for our race and rights,

>>  >you would call us racists. 

>>  >You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange,

>>  >and you're  not afraid to announce it.

>>  >But when we announce our white pride..

>>  >You call us racists. 

>>  >You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us.

>>  >But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member

>>  >or beats up a black drug-dealer running

>>  >from the law and posing a threat to society.

>>  >you call him a racist.

>>  >I am proud.

>>  >But, you call me a racist.
>>  >Why is it that only whites can be racists?
>>  >

Jim_Ewing

Re: Who Really Is Racist?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:34:17 PM »
I think humans are racists.

mistymountains

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
yahoo messasge boards must still be down

Offline top-rope-happy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »
When a woman hits me, I just walk away.  When a man hits me, I knock him out.  I guess that makes me a sexist. 

TRH

Tomcat

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
I run a small business.The federal government sends out a questionaire that starts with the threat that you must respond or it's a five hundred dollar fine. Check the appropriate boxes please.

They want to know about the business owner,are you caucasian,african american,latin american,cuban american,mexican american,phillipino american and the list goes on.There are like eight catagories of latino's alone.So I call the number on the survey that will help you fill it out and ask," If it's OK to split all the other races down by country of origin,so that they are sure to be minorities,why are there no swedish american boxes,no scottish american boxes,no irish american?" And they people at the fed are dumbfounded by this question.

So I ask what the information is for,and it is to determine how much federal money will go to help those catagories start up their own small businesses.

Does that make sense to you?

Offline the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
I run a small business and have never seen that questionaire except when we have tried to get goverment orders.
It makes sense to me in that aspect because they have to give X amount of contracts to someone other than the big companys. 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:06:25 AM »
I have run small and medium sized business since 1985 and have never seen a questionare like that from the government!

--al
Al Hospers

Tomcat

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »
I think Al that you are implying that  made that up and I take offense at that.

bag11s

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »
Racism remains the single greatest problem besetting our national identity. In an unprecedented age of global population diasporas which have included many centuries of trade in the human cargo, slavery, enforced religious conversion, and general bad shit, its not surprising that we as individuals will be recurrently faced with difficult moral/ethical questions.

The world is getting smaller every day, populations are on the move, and I agree with Jim Ewing- humans are all the same. In earlier stages of humanity,s rising arc of population increase, when people lived in isolated hunter-gatherer groups, there were important reasons to view outsiders with suspicion. Now we live in an extraordinary melting pot society with disrupted cultural traditions crashing together on all sides. Ethnic and racial groups from all over the world rub shoulders every day. These are all fits and starts of the creation of the future global culture, our children,s children,s culture.

Climbhardclimb, the way that you couched the question is scary, you need to read some basic history of our current Atlantic Civilization- The reasons why you would be considered racist will become self evident. It has to do with a few short centuries of severe exploitation by the haves over the have-nots. You (individually) may or may not be a wealthy person, or be prone to racial exploitation, but you,ve got to read more history. Even right now, and in a tremendously lop sided way; whites of North European descent control a greatly disproportionate amount of our nation,s wealth and power. Racially motivated Police brutality remains endemic. Most youth violence is black on black, not black on white. Sinking to the use of racial slurs only leads to extending a climate of misunderstanding and distrust. The question maybe shouldn,t be  Why can,t I practice bad behavior, perhaps you could consider  What can I do to promote (forward moving) racial understanding.    

Read a little, go climbing, and read a little more, go climbing, yeah man. This weather,s been unbelievable for rock climbing- I pity the ice climbers!

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
Anyone who generalizes in a negative way a whole race, or all other races would be a racist.  Your post reads like I would imagine a speech at a Neo-Nazi rally.  We should be proud of who we are, not the color of our skin.  Find pride in who you are!  Genetically we are only a view genes different from all other humans.  There are good (insert color) and bad (insert color) people around the world.  I think racism is born of fear and insecurity.

tradchick

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »
Interesting question and to some degree I think Jim Ewing's response hits closest. 

In the mid 80's I lived in Chicago and was in a biracial relationship.  While I endured racist comments from both blacks and whites, I by far encountered more racist comments from blacks as did my bf.  His mother hated me before she ever met me, the women he worked with felt the same way.  There were parts of Chicago I didn't dare venture into even during the day.  I discovered that he couldn't venture into those parts either though because he had a nice car and a good job.

Next stop, St. Johnsbury VT with 3 biracial children at a college prep private Academy that includes kids from 30 different countries.  While my children were frequently envied for their exotic look, they occasionally endured racist comments.  Over time a pattern emerged, my kids were accepted and welcomed into the homes of middle and upper class Vermonters.  It seemed that racism was more prevalent in lower socio-economic groups of any color.   Identical to my experience in Chicago.

While speaking to racism and prejudice, I'd like to add that I think that the most discriminated group of people in America at this time is the white middle class male.  While he is the foundation of this country, every other minority including women have special interest groups to help them with education, housing, jobs etc. etc.

The white middle class male is really the minority...

bag11s

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
Dman- fear and insecurity for sure-

tradchick- I,m a white middle class male, but don,t pity me- I,m not a minority in any way. In life, just like in climbing routes: if you want to succeed you have use your brain, carefully find the best stances to breathe at, protect opportunistically, take calculated risks, and you may, heaven forbid, have to work hard. The greatest obstacles to enjoying the type of life I may want to live in this country come from my own limited vision and laziness.

redpoint73

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
I think Al that you are implying that  made that up and I take offense at that.

No, Al is implying that he has run a business since 1985 and has never seen a questionnaire like that.

Whatever assumption you makes from his simple statement is your own deal.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm a wicked racist. I love speed.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

giggy

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
I am not a racist -  I haven't raced bikes in years........................... ;D :o ;D :o ::) :P