NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: climbing with no harness  (Read 213 times)

mdj

climbing with no harness
« on: May 15, 2003, 01:12:44 PM »

hey ya all, i stumbled across this forum.  i just had a question.  although i want to get into rock climbing, my sport of choice right now is UEing.  anyways, i was wondering if there is some sort of tool to use to help you ascend/descend ropes without the use of a harness.  i wont be climbing anything over 20 feet or so, and i though i remembered seeing some sort of clip on to help you pull yourself up the rope.  is something like this out there?  or am i stuck doing it the old fashioned way...

AaronR

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: climbing with no harness
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 01:57:31 PM »

First, you should look into a book called "Self Rescue" by David J. Fasulo.  This way you will know what to do when you get yourself tangled up in the rope on that 20 footer.  The book also covers ascending ropes by various means.  Why do you need to ascend the rope if you are going to be "climbing" anyway?

Good luck!

mdj

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 02:32:47 PM »

come on now, no need for sarcasm.... its a grappling hook, which i am using to climb small buildings and get on roofs...just for fun....it was a simple question, why couldent you give me a simple answer?

cguertin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 02:39:53 PM »

that was simple!

try a search on google or something..."ascender climbing"

or the petzl website...

cguertin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 02:41:14 PM »

also, forgive my ignorance but what is "UEing"?

AaronR

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 02:52:34 PM »

I was not being sarcastic.  The book is an excellent resource for rigging, ascending, and descending using ropes and climbing equipment.  If you are going to get 20 or so off the ground you should know what you are doing.  Descending is not too bad but ascending a rope efficiently and safely is not as easy as you might imagine.  Just ask anyone who has done it.  I would avoid using the grappling hook if you can ヲ

john

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 03:37:08 PM »

He's Batman.

mdj

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 08:05:31 AM »

cool cool, i guess i should have expected something like that.  anyways, yeah, the thing is im still in school, i live in minnesota, and i know i would get addicted to rock climbing.  i cant really afford the gear right now, not to mention there arent many cool climbing spots around minneapolis.  so i stick to UEing(urban exploringh).....if you dont know what it is, go to actionsquad.org .  there are a couple caves/tunnels/buildings i have been wanting to get into, but need rope, so i got a grappling hook and some 7/8 inch rope, the problem is the rope is too heavy for the hook, it goes up a couple feet, then comes right back down twords my skull.  so i want to get some climbing rope, but its a bitch to climb with just the hands, so i was wondering if there was any alternative.   anyways, thats the deal, you should all check out the website, its fun to read.  thanks for the help though, ill be back when i have more questions for all you badass rock climbers..

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 08:12:57 PM »

The non-sarcastic answer you are looking for is that (speaking for the safe climbers I know) no, there is not a safe way to ascend a rope without a harness. You can rappel the old fashioned Dulfersitz way, but I don't think your testicles would be to psyched about it. If you are toting around and using a Bugs Bunny style grappling hook, I can't believe you will find a light harness to be too bulky though, less than a pound.

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 06:27:31 AM »

You have to love an activity that has a disclaimer that you may get arrested. テつ

The first question is do you want to be attached to the rope or not? テつIf so there are ways to do it, such as 5 loops of rope and a bowline knot - like they used to climb 50 years ago. テつThis is a) very painful and b) really not for beginners. テつI would certainly not try to describe it on a forum. テつIf you are looking for something like this then the book Freedom of the Hills or the Self Rescue book are good places to start. テつThe rescue book covers a lot of non-standard ways of dealing with situations. テつIt also assumes, however, that you are familiar with the basics. Starting to tinker around with advanced concepts when you don't know the basics of climbing is probably a good way to get yourself killed.

The second question is the means in which to ascend the rope. テつThere are numerous cheap ways to do this (prussiks, Bachmans, etc), described in the above books. テつHowever judging form your level of experience this also sounds like a really good way to get seriously hurt. テつThis point is seriously exacerbated by the fact that you are not properly attached to the rope. (see previous paragraph). テつFurthermore, as all of these techniques are based on wearing a harness, they don't really apply.

MY GOD MAN, spring for the 45 bucks to by an entry level harness! テつThe copay on an ER visit to the hospital is $50.
If you can afford a rope, you can afford a harness.

I honestly expect to be reading an article a couple of months in the, Offbeat section of the paper. テつ"Minnesota man found dead a bottom of building with grappling hook embedded in his head."

So here are a couple of questions for you: テつ

Are you going to be using these techniques to tresspass?
Where does one buy a grappling hook?

-David

テつ

« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 06:19:04 AM by DWarriner »
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Erik N

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2003, 08:16:30 AM »

If your interested in buying a grappling hook you might want to talk to a man named Peter Lewis.   Rumor has it when Peter was guiding for EMS he used a grappling hook to extricate himself and his clients from the fearsome Upper Refuse.  Apparently on the last desperate pitch he would yell to the crowd in the fenced viewing area, "Stand Clear!"  The crowd would back up and Peter would launch the grappling hook and get it hooked on the fence ensuring the safety of his clients and a guaranteed summit.  If I remember correctly the key to the grappling hook was duct tape.
 I'm surprised this method hasn't caught on.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2003, 03:45:24 PM »

actually the BD Alpine harness is only 30 bucks, if i'm not mistaken.

AaronR

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 05:35:00 PM »

Stand Clear!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.