NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synthetic Indoor Ice Wall  (Read 465 times)

Craig

Synthetic Indoor Ice Wall
« on: October 30, 2001, 12:38:34 PM »

Anyone have any experience at indoor ice climbing. Someone told me once that using your tools is stressed by climbing indoors. I have no experience with an indoor "ice wall". Anyone shed any light on this aspect. Plus, anyone been to Boulder Morty's?

Thankx. Craig

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Synthetic Indoor Ice Wall
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2001, 07:57:44 PM »

I haven't climbed with ice tools ndoows, but I know people who have. they use special plastic picks & don't use crampons. I haven't heard anything about the tools getting "stressed."
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 07:44:57 AM »

There are two ways that tools are typically used indoors.
Dry tooling on a regular plastic route.  In this case plastic
picks are typically used to protect the holds and crampons
are not (unless you can get away with it).

On Fake ice like Boulder Morty's has.  In this case you use
the real thing - boots, crampons, tools - the whole 9 yards.

Edge

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 09:31:03 AM »

I looked at the synthetic ice at Boulder Mortys, and was even handed an ice axe to take a couple of whacks.  My impression was that it was not worth the effort.  You can train for ice climbing by working your grip strength, upper body strength, and endurance on the synthetic rock walls, which are a lot more fun.  The make believe ice took the tools pretty well, but the picks were a little hard to remove (I know that exists in the real world, but do you really want to practice it???).  Also, if you make a placement that is too shallow or close to a prior placement, the pick could shear out, leaving the adze or hammer to pop you in the nose (see above parenthesis).  It's much better to wait for the real deal, where you can add fear, cold, and misery to the mix.  Now that's ice climbing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.