NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System Training  (Read 232 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
System Training
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »

A friend of mine told me about the Huber Bros. and how they created a special workout to gain strnght and stamina using repetition and lock-off's...he believed that they called it system training?!?!? Does anyone know anything about this, how one would find information on it as the website he told me about seems to have been shut down. Any info would be great! Thanks!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: System Training
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »

hmmm... looked around but no references. not even an active alexhuber.com web site.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »

Their lying ;) Those guys were born superhuman :o

ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »

it's a very effective way to get stronger.  it's also fairly safe, unlike campusing.

i believe udo neumann (sp?) who co authored "performace rock climbing" with dale goddard, is one of it's first proponents.  at least that where i first heard about it.

the wall is fairly steep (at least 45 degrees) and symmetrical; that is, the holds on the right and left side of the board should be exactly the same.  this is so that you can do the same set of moves with both sides of the body.

think of doing a boulder problem starting with the right hand, moving up and right a few moves then downclimbing.  then, starting on the same holds do a mirror image of same problem starting with the left hand. 

apparently the symmetry of movement is very important.  (it has something to do with increasing connectivity of the neural pathways in the brain, or so i'm told by people smarter than me...)

a typical work out might be 5 different problems (done on both sides of the body)that work different muscle groups with 5 repetitions done  in each set.  it's a way to weight train by climbing.

we had built one that allowed us to make 4 or 5 moves before reaching the top.  it was hard to find holds that were idental from both sides.  we even made a buch from smooth hardwoods.  the wall had t-nuts on 4" centers to fine-tune the hold placement.

it's a fairly intensive workout and it is training. it's not exactly fun (unless your idea of fun is training) but it does work well.

eric something-or-other (the climbing trainer from pa who was/is married to the playboy model) has a similar regime called  "hitt-strips"(i think.)  he suggests using a weight belt or something like that, which seemed to me like a good way to hurt yourself, but maybe not.  i really don't know much about his thing.

i seem to remember there being an article in one of the rags (climbing, maybe) about it.

ed e

pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »

it's a very effective way to get stronger.  it's also fairly safe, unlike campusing.

i believe udo neumann (sp?) who co authored "performace rock climbing" with dale goddard, is one of it's first proponents.  at least that where i first heard about it.

BINGO Ed!!!! That's it. I have been searching for a site for udo as well...no luck, but you described it as it was described to me to a tee! Good to see it in writing so my failing mind won't forget it!  ;D
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

JJ

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »

The link is here:

http://www.nadventure.com/Training/systraining.html

The voiceovers on the videos are in German, but the text is in English, so you just have to read along.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »

That is awesome! Thanks JJ. How did you find that link?

JJ

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:23:20 PM »

I just vaguely remembered watching those videos a long time ago. That's an archive of Udo Neumann's old webpage. Seems like he was a training guru awhile ago (or maybe still is). Too bad he didn't continue updating his training page; it seems to have a lot of good info. I've wanted to try system training myself for quite awhile. Finding a good setup to do it on isn't easy though.

joane

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:10:52 AM »

Thanks from me too.   I'm always looking for more info on work outs.  The idea about balanced  worked out for both sides  of the body is echoed in  some runnig books I have  in terms of running around outside on the roads  they recommend  creating cirucuits that  have you switch sies of the road as  it is  convex and so running alongside of it means you are not on a fully flat surface,  so the  imbalanced position however slight has an effect on your physical development over many  paces and so to achieve  proper work out balance you should  run on both sides of  a road fairly evenly. Did that make sense?

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 06:03:09 PM »

Thanks from me too.   I'm always looking for more info on work outs.  The idea about balanced  worked out for both sides  of the body is echoed in  some runnig books I have  in terms of running around outside on the roads  they recommend  creating cirucuits that  have you switch sies of the road as  it is  convex and so running alongside of it means you are not on a fully flat surface

Makes perfect sense Joane! My track coach in high school (won't tell you how long ago that was) had us run on both sides of the road. We thought he was nuts, but I guess he was way ahead of his time.

JJ

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »

eric something-or-other (the climbing trainer from pa who was/is married to the playboy model) has a similar regime called  "hitt-strips"(i think.)  he suggests using a weight belt or something like that, which seemed to me like a good way to hurt yourself, but maybe not.  i really don't know much about his thing.

His set - up isn't all that useful. There are no underclings, gastons, pockets, etc. Just relatively large positive edges and pinches that you pull straight down on. Somebody used to make hexagonal tiles that incorporated pretty much every grip you can think of (they're using them in those Udo Neumann videos), but I haven't seen them in a long time.

CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »

A few people I've met that use and like the Eric Horst's H.I.T. training system made by Nicros. I own the system but haven't used it yet because I was injured with a blown tendon pulley not too long after I purchased it. Now that I'm back to climbing after a "hiatus" I plan on setting it up in my basement for an early morning workout routine a couple days/week. It has 5 strips that have slopers, 3 & 4 finger crimps and another hold position. It also comes with pinches as well and sounds similar or a copy of Udo's program.

wasatchinboston

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:18:45 AM »

Eric Horst talks about system training in his book training for climbing, talks about how it's important to train both sides of the body equally for sport specific movements
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 23 queries.