Author Topic: Looking for bouldering in the Lowell area  (Read 583 times)

Offline Joyman

• NEClimbs Newbie
Looking for bouldering in the Lowell area
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
Hi guys, I am fairly new to outdoor climbing, I've been going to a couple different rock gyms regularly for the past couple months and got my first taste of outdoor bouldering this weekend at Hammond Pond on Saturday and Lincoln Woods on Sunday and I am completely hooked. Does anyone know of any good bouldering spots around Lowell? And if not then anyone know of any good places that I should start looking? Thanks a lot

Offline bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Looking for bouldering in the Lowell area
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:41 AM »
Check out Boston Rocks. It's published by MITOC (MIT outing club) and has a bunch destinations in the greater boston area. I lent mine out recently so I can't give you specific places from it, but it will have info on bouldering, toproping, and leading at crags around Eastern MA. If you only want to boulder and don't care about progressing to toperoping and then leading, check out Tim Kemple's book, New England Bouldering (actually, check it out anyway).

http://www.newenglandbouldering.com/frmset.html
haven't checked most of these places out myself, but should be helpful

If you are looking for short trips, just keep your eyes open. I've found maybe six bouldering spots around the Boston area with 2-3 routes at them each. I won't spend a whole day, but if I only have an hour, it's fun!

Pawtuckaway is a great destination if you're taking a day trip. If you go in the spring you will also be doing the good deed of feeding the black flies :)
DrewD

Offline top-rope-happy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »
Den rock, off Rt. 114 in Andover.
495 N, take Rt 114 exit (Andover/Middleton).  Parking lot on right, just before your first set of lights.

Dear leap in windham N.H. and Crow Hill near Leominster.  Harder to find.

If you're coming into Mill City Rock Gym this week, I'll try to bring my guide book.  (Hope I can find it.)  I'll leave it with Mark, the owner, and you can xerox what you need and bring the book back whenever.

climber57r

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
Den rock and Windham are sweet places. I have cleaned a lot of the hidden boulders near the arrow trail in Windham. Happy Trails.  :)

Offline Joyman

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. Gonna be too busy to climb this week but I am excited to check them all out soon.  ;D