Author Topic: Dog's above tree-line in winter  (Read 543 times)

DLottmann

Dog's above tree-line in winter
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »
I see many dogs over the winter heading up to Hermit Lake.  Last week I saw two chasing their owners down Hillman's Highway (owners skiing and snowboarding).  A few days later while descending Lion's Head Winter Route (4th class terrian) two short haired dogs and owners (not short haired), were reaching tree-line.  The winds I had turned around in were approaching 60, with frigid temps.

I have two dogs, and pretty much love every dog I run into on the trail.  I love em' running free and getting exercise.  I have heard of dogs getting hurt in Tuck's, and of one dog helicopter rescue above tree-line in the summer, but have no hard numbers.

Anyways, just bringing the subject up, in hopes that those who love their dogs re-consider what kind of terrian they stick too when Fido is along.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Dog's above tree-line in winter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »
2 weeks ago on a Saturday I was guiding over at Texaco. when we got out of the car at 10 it was howling & around 10 degrees ambient. someone got out of their car at the same time in full gear & had this little terrier type of dog. they put a little coat on them & proceeded off down the Davis Path. I thought it was pretty bad conditions for a little dog, coat or not. when we walked over the bridge the wind almost blew us over. I keep Riley, my rottie, indoors on days like that. he went out to pee this morning, came right back in and he's been laying by the wood stove all day. smart dog...

<grin>

--al
Al Hospers