NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tick Lists- Good or Bad?  (Read 296 times)

bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
Tick Lists- Good or Bad?
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »

Gags-

In around 2000, being the obsessive type, I charted out in Excel the 5.10s, 5.11s, and 5.12s in New England (not including CT), using area guidebooks. It takes up a few pages. This is my tick list. I formatted my chart with columns by letter rating- big blocks of 5.10a, 5.10b, and so on throughout the rating range. The six columns are headed like so: guide book rating, alphabetical route name, crag, star rating, sport or trad, and date.

My personal policy is to write in the date if the route,s been either on-sighted, flashed, red pointed, or pink pointed (free soloing would be included, if I were more of a manly man)- I consider a route climbed once I do it in any of these styles. Top roping, working a route, hang dogging, resting on gear, and yo-yos don,t count. Over this several year block, it has been a lot of fun to check off routes that I,ve done, and I,m happy when I,ve worked a route for some weekends, and am able to succeed on it. Of course, the portions of the list in the upper end and in areas that are far from home are still mainly empty, but that,s all right- the routes will be unaltered by erosion for the foreseeable future, and maybe I,ll get stronger- or more ambitious.

When I started the list, I had been climbing for a while, so I filled in the qualifying routes that I had already done over prior years, estimating the date. This was a gratifying move.

Anyway, this list has been pinned on my bulletin board over my desk at work for over five years and I,ve quietly enjoyed knowing its up there, not understood by my co-workers. It keeps me honest in my climbing, helps me remember the route names, and it brings me a kind of a cool nostalgia effect when I look at it- usually when entering a newly done route, or when I realize its time to start a new one. The list also gets me motivated to always be trying new things, because my natural tendency would be to slide towards lethargy and the familiar. I know the list helped my climbing skills to broaden- what with always tackling new shit.

Often I,ll be trying a route that,s real hard for me for a few weekend days as I work or fail on it, rest, and am able to get back to it. While that fight is going on, because of the list, I might also be mindful of one or two routes in the area that are conceivably in my on-sight range. During a well executed climbing day, I usually do two or three warm-ups, try the hard thing two or three goes, then step back to something a bit easier (which might be the on-sight prospect), then cool down with a couple laps on something light. Sometimes the on-sight prospects become projects also, if they prove to be harder than I hoped. Generally I only work routes up to around five separate days any given year, at that point, if I haven,t done it and the route is that hard for me I shelve it for the time being- just so I,m not obsessing too long and miss out on other fun stuff that year.

It helps to find partners that have similar interests. A good partnership with a friend that has similar climbing goals and comparable strengths will lead to more success as you work together.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:15:16 AM by bag11s »

gags

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Tick Lists- Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:26:04 AM »

bag11s,
I don't really generate a list of climbs like you do, in fact, I don't know anyone who does that.  I just have very few opportunities to climb each year and when I do, I want to make sure I am climbing on quality climbs.  I have a general idea of climbs I want to do and others on the back burner, but by starting this thread (best 11's in rumney), I just wanted to hear other's opinions for entertainment purposes.  I stated from the very get go, that I was bored waiting for the season.  Bags, when I become so goal oriented, something is lost in the climbing.  It sounds like it is different for you, which is cool.

later
gags

bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:56:36 PM »

have to admit i've been working on a similar project. I am a much less skilled climber and haven't ever sport climbed. I've been ticking my trad leads though, and do think it can be helpful. If I were good enough (hopefully someday) I would just walk up to a cliff and climb whatever looked most beautiful. Unfortunately I am not so skilled and making a database with routes helps me to be a safer climber. It helps me remember that my crack climbing level is significantly lower than face climbing for example. I'm not afraid that it will get in the way of climbing, only in the way of schoolwork.
I'd like to do the NE ridge of the Pinnacle this summer, but want to make sure that I'm fast enough. In my database I've been looking for places with a high concentration of 5.6-5.8 trad climbs. That will give me a better idea about my speed and more confidence when I need to be thinking about weather, time, and bail routes as well. If I had the time I'd throw away my books and computers and just climb all day, but that's not looking like it will be reality in the near future.
Of course this isn't directly related to sport climbing, but I would think that it could be helpful there too. I guess it just depends on what is fun for you. I prefer hiking to short hard toproping. I climb at crags so that I can get better and go places that would otherwise be unreachable to me.
DrewD

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »

Around 1993 my wife gave me a book called "Everything men know about Women."  It was about 100 pages of blank paper.  For a while I kept track of what routes I led, followed, TR'ed and new routes I put up in that book (fitting right?).  I filled the book by the end of 1996 or so.  I love looking back at some of the great accomplishments and partners I have had over the years. 

Regarding "tick lists", as I have started off topic.  Whenever a new guide book comes out, I usually put an asterix next to the climbs I wish to do.  I do have alot of them "ticked," but there are always many more to go through out the country.  When the kids get older?.....................

Bill
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:13:01 PM »

Arround 94 I bought a blue water rope that came with a little blue journal for keeping a rope log. I used it as a climbing journal and have kept a climbing journal ever since writeing down the experiences of the day, weather , scary or pleasant, cool wildlife spotted, drunken debachuary and whatever else is of interest. makes good reading sometimes. Wish I had allways kept a climbing journal. I did scribble in my old guide books  from time to time but the journal is much better. I usually only have one or two actual tick list hopefulls per season.  This winter I ticked all three of them by mid january and the rest of the winter was gravey ;D

gags

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »

bluesnpolitics,
The pinnacle buttress in huntington's ravine is great, it has plenty of pitons and only a couple of 5.7 moves on the whole climb.  You could even bail off the route at just about any time; you might have to bushwack through some low brush and scratch the sh*t out of your legs.  The climb is fun and the experience is great.  My dead aunt could climb the route.

gags

bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »

Auntie sounds spry!

benlewis

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:34:29 PM »

journal good, tick list bad.

I like to write notes in the guidebook next to climbs I've done, but if nothing special stood out I won't write a thing.  Who cares what or how hard you've climbed if you had fun doing it?
"If you get confused listen to the music play"

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »

I have a journal i keep for things ive led.. or trad lines ive followed or split (to be filled in hopefully with a later RP date)..   i have half set up for ropes and half for boulders.  I try to fill in useful beta and things to remember for next time. stars or something next to good ones..  POS next to ones i'd rather not get back on

i also highlight the routes ive done in the back of my guidebooks.. helpful to see what ive done and what i haven't.   also good for helping guys like Bags who start threads about certain grades or areas

it's fun to keep track and look back on
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

ToddSH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 08:10:50 AM »

If you don't write anything down, you will most likely forget it.  This is the best part. Now it is like onsighting all over again. Just think about it, you don't have to worry about red,pink and the coveted greenpoints anymore. It's alll onsighting these days.
Todd

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »

I agree with Todd the older we get the more a route feels like an onsight even if we have done them before.I use Climbings weekly engagement calender to keep track of what I have climbed and whether it was worth the effort.It comes in hand when going to a remote cliff with a long approach to remember directions,also to note if there were other routes in the area that I wanted to climb but did not get a chance to or were too hard at that time.Tick list put too much emphasis on what you feel you have to do instead of focusing on the day and what feels good at that moment.I have had routes on tick list before and when I finished them I felt unsatisfied and I have done many routes spur of the moment and have finished the day very satisfied.Everyones ego is different so do what works for you and have fun.Rock should be dry by the weekend ;D
bailing is not failing!!!

bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »

excellent! Thanks for the info Gags. The route info that I read made it seem fairly easy, but I wasn't sure. Some of the guys I know climb the steeper sections farther right. They call everything 5.7 (5.5 - 5.11) so I wanted to be over prepared. by the way, is your dead aunt looking for a partner? :)

gags

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

nothing up the standard route is even close to 5.11 and the route finding is generally easy.  There is one section that you would think to follow pitons 5.8, but you really want to go down and left there to a short easy chimney which opens with one of the 5.7 moves.  my dead aunt does not exist, but she could climb this.

gags

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 08:33:39 PM »

the problem with tick lists is that one becomes so content on climbing certain climbs that they are unwilling to compromise with their climbing partners.  everyone has different routes that appeal to them; you can't always do the ones that only appeal to you unless you like to climb by yourself and that is no fun.

gags

leewee

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • crack addict
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »

i make lists of everything and i also journal... i think a tick list is great for charting progress and helping motivate but it is important to keep it in perspective and not climb for the list, still climb for fun... i check off every route somewhere but thats not why i climb... my journal reminds me of the fun i have when i get out and also helps me keep track of weather im being a lazy ass or not... i have it set up so that i can figure the number of pitches climbed in a month year etc... if i have a slow month it gets me off my ass to climb more the next month...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.