NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slacklining  (Read 297 times)

juanpaab

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Slacklining
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »

So does anyone in the valley slackline and or know how to set up a slackline.  it looks like a very interesting and tough sport and a good way to impress ladies.

so i guess what im asking is what gear do i need to set up a low slackline?

thanks,
JG

DLottmann

Re: Slacklining
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »

Try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Slackline

Lots of links there with more info as well.

juanpaab

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »

awesome thanks

JG

benlewis

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »

I admit I didn't look at that article, but I assume it has the super easy way that involves 2 6ft pieces of webbing and one 40+ ft piece and three biners.  It's really simply and only takes a few minutes.  ask away if that article doesnt cover it
"If you get confused listen to the music play"

climber57r

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »

Pretty good videos on that site, and good info. Easier and less damaging then tying it to a tree and the other end to the bumper...lol

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »

The principles of slacklining are pretty simple, but I found that in practice they're a little fussy to set up.  Nothing you probably can't handle with some trial and error.

One of the more useful pieces of beta a friend of mine gave me when he helped me set up a line was the ratio of untensioned line to the length of what you want to the final length to be.  Otherwise you do a lot of trial and error when you've finished tightening it down and it's either too tight, or too loose and you have to redo it.  I have it at home, I'll look it up.

As for gear, I just used about 7 carabiners, lot's of 1" webbing and a bigass come-along.  I probably would haved saved time (but not money) if I went here:  http://www.slacklineexpress.com/.  In general, there's a ton of good free info all over the web.  It's a particularly good topic to Google.

it looks like a very interesting and tough sport and a good way to impress ladies.

So far, I have impressed no ladies - not even my wife.  But that's probably just me....

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »

One of the more useful pieces of beta a friend of mine gave me when he helped me set up a line was the ratio of untensioned line to the length of what you want to the final length to be.  Otherwise you do a lot of trial and error when you've finished tightening it down and it's either too tight, or too loose and you have to redo it.  I have it at home, I'll look it up.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »

That number's a little vague, David.  Could you be a bit more specific?  Thanks.  Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

bikewrench

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »

Do yourself a favor and skip the "normal" slackline you see in the climbing mags. For a real, hardcore balance and strength workout you gotta try 'Greenland' style rope gymnastics. Check out this guy's website http://www.dubside.net/qajaasaarneq.cfm His video costs $30 but the workout is incredible. He shows how to set up the rope (not brain surgery) and he goes through about a dozen or so different "easy" rope moves. Each move requires and develops strength and balance. This system was developed probably a thousand years ago by Greenland eskimos as a way to train for hunting from a kayak. I believe the skills are very transferable to climbing, probably more so than any other training routine I've seen (short of actually going out and climbing). My $0.02, Good luck.

wasatchinboston

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 08:25:54 AM »

That greenland rope stuff is whacked!  I'll stick to slacking. 
I like to use 2 double pulleys , one of which has a cam lever so I don't have to use any knots or prusiks.  I use an old climbing rope in my pully system and tie into trees or whatever is available.  The pulleys make it easy to tension because there is minimal friction and the cam makes it super easy to stretch and take down

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »

That number's a little vague, David.  Could you be a bit more specific?  Thanks.  Dale

Sorry.  Say you're setting up a 100 foot line and you want to measure out a length of rope to stretch out to the 100 feet.  You multiply 100 x .863 (=86 feet 4 inches) and use that to stretch to the 100 foot distance.  It should get you in the ballpark of a line that is tight enough but won't hit the ground. 

-David

climber377

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:03:45 AM »

Years ago black diamond had instructions on there website. I printed them off and found that they where simple and worked well. They may still be there. Worked better than any pully combo I tried.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.