NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear to get started..  (Read 159 times)

issacaron

• NEClimbs Newbie
Gear to get started..
« on: May 12, 2007, 04:55:28 AM »

Hello everyone,
     I'm going to be moving to Maine in the next few months and I would like to start climbing, eventually I'd like to move to ice.  Most of my experience has been hiking / camping in the Washington cascades.  I'm going to have $250-$300 to spend on the initial equipment, what would you recommend.  I realize I have left out training, I plan on picking up an army mountaineering field manual and ad-hoc'ing the rest.  Thanks in advance.

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
Re: Gear to get started..
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 07:03:49 AM »

Buy a harness, shoes, chalkbag, helmet, belay device and a few locking carabiners.  Then start begging to climb with some experienced climbers who already have gear. 

Bill
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

You may want to look at Freedom of the Hills or similar reference instead of the army field manual, but punx gives a very practical list on your budget.  Welcome to the state o' Maine - where will you be and maybe we can steer you to the closest climbing and partners?  Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

issacaron

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:16:48 AM »

Thanks Bill, pretty much what I'm looking for.  I'll get some ice stuff a little later in the season. 

I'll be in settled in Maine sometime in August,  I'm moving to the Brunswick/Bath area.  Until I get there I dont really know what my schedule is going to be like. 

Justin.

Notch

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »

Justin,
I live in Bath and can introduce you to a great, albeit small, group of really active climbers here.  What brings you to the area?

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.