NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer keg on Moby Grape  (Read 303 times)

bumpkin

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Christopher S-G
Beer keg on Moby Grape
« on: June 17, 2003, 12:52:45 PM »

So.... anyone know the story here?

Edge

Re: Beer keg on Moby Grape
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 01:36:27 PM »

That explains everything!!!  The Old Man didn't fall down, he passed out...

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 01:50:16 PM »

Are they keeping it cold?  :P On Moby grape, a cask of Zinfandel might be more appropriate. Jeff

Bling

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 02:51:56 PM »

A couple joints in your shirt pocket does not weigh as much as a keg and is better for the environment.

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 02:51:57 PM »

It must be a new Wild Country Keg-Cam.  Did you leave it there, is it booty or what?  What size is it, the .25, .5, or the 1?  Note, the 1's you have to thread yourself, though they are a bit heavy they are bomber in body-width chimnies.  Don't rack these on your harness since they snag frequently, instead girth-hitch  3 or 4, 24"-slings together and trail it below you.  Wrapping it in a foam sleeping pad will silence the clanging noise on those slab pitches, and keep it reasonably cold.  You may need a crowbar instead of a nut-tool to tweak it out if it's stuck.  Does it have the tap-attachement on it?  This and on the handle are the best places to clip to.   :D  

cguertin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 03:16:48 PM »

bling?! what are you doing here?

bumpkin

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Christopher S-G
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 03:50:08 PM »

Umm, it looks like a fixed piece. Its not a wildcountry, but an Amheuser-Busch, small size. Its placed end-wise (i.e. top and bottom flush with crack) and looks to have been there for awhile given its holding back a bunch of rubble. I didn't clip it since I was avoiding the wide crack by face climbing to the right. It is visible from the highway...

ed esmond

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 09:17:09 PM »

I'm outraged...

What sort of pitiful climber would "retro-keg" a route like Moby Grape.  It's been in the guidebooks for years, there's no way the keglers didn't know it was an established route....

What's next?  A drilled "pipeloader" on the "pipe pitch" of Whitney G's?

I say, if someone wants a keg every 5 feet he can go put up his own routes and all of the "masses" can come up here and climb them over and over all summer long....

ed e

ps, If you plan to "drink and climb," you should atleast have a "designated belayer...."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 08:28:15 AM »

my understanding is that there was a heck of a party up there one evening last summer. it is too bad that the keg was left there & that you can see it from the road.

so who will fess up??? come on guys...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

bumpkin

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Christopher S-G
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 09:33:05 AM »

Speaking of the pipe pitch on the WG, I think that its lamentable that no-one has installed a proper screen, carb, and maybe a water-cooling unit... I mean, its a pretty exposed place and the last thing I would want are some harsh tokes before firing that crux...

Similarly, the keg on MG has no tap on it, and its unlikely that people are keeping it filled. If you're going to retro-keg, show some care and effort!

Edge

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 11:42:23 AM »

Remember:

Original spring loaded camming devices should never allow other original spring loaded camming devices to ascend the rock face while enebriated!

(Friends don't let friends climb drunk)

Dave R

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 12:13:53 PM »

From the sound of that rambling we now know where the contents of the keg went. Never figured it was you Loran. ;D

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 12:50:18 PM »

So, if it stops raining, and I finally get to climb Moby Grape.  Would be be a sin to chop the keg and keep it??  I want to get the communities' thoughts before doing this.  On the same train of thought, what do you think the consequences of cleaning up a few bit of the metal that was holding up the Old Man?  I think the whole thing should be cleaned up but I'm not quite sure the magnitude of what I'm proposing, I havn't been up close to the Old Man and seen the cables and pipes that held it.  More would probably fall eh?  Do you think I'd get arrested for tampering with that pile??  I'm just speculating for now but the keg seems like a reasonable prize to me.   Don't think I'll get the chance until mid-July though. :)

bumpkin

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Christopher S-G
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 02:16:06 PM »

Umm.. if you're going to go clean the keg, make sure you're above it, since it is now damming a bunch of rubble. Also, make sure no-one is below you. Seems like a bit of a pain to haul up the rest of the climb, especially the Finger of Fate pitch... although, on second thoughts, you might be able to use it to protect that pitch.

As for the cables on the Old Man, I went and poked around there, since I'm into erosion.... I think you'd have a hard time scoring some of that booty without some really heavy duty cutters.

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2003, 02:42:58 PM »

Hey, thanks for the insight.  I don't have any heavy duty cutters so i guess I'll leave the Old Man's ties alone.  I'll take your advice about the loose rock behind the keg, if I get to it first.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.