NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney  (Read 308 times)

adoherty

• NEClimbs Newbie
Rumney
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »

Hi, I'm looking to set up top rope anchors at Rumney this weekend and I was told that the trees are pretty far back. Could anyone verify this and tell me how many feet of webbing I should have? Thanks!

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Rumney
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:00:07 AM »

Hopefully this is not a Troll but here goes. The best way to set up top rope anchors at Rumny is to lead the routs and  build your top rope anchors on the top bolts/anchors. Scrambleing to the top of most of the Rumny climbs is more dangerous than leading them and also harmfull to the eco system. Most of the anchors are over the edge of the cliff and dangerous to reach from the top. The climbs and trail systems at Rumny are set up for lead climbing. You should NOT set top rope anchors off the trees as that is a lot of wear and tear on a high use area. If you are a school or camp and your insurance does not allow you to lead climb maby you could consider hireing a  guide for the day to set the routs for you.

adoherty

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »

hm, thanks for the advice. I have never tried lead climbing before so that option is out, I guess we'll figure it out when we get there...

oldmansmith

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

If you are :D nice, you can often get someone to take your rope up to thee anchors after you are done.  Please use quick-draws on the anchors to reduce wear and tear.  The place will probably be packed, so this option might work out for you.

That said, the meadows (left side) and 5.8 crag are the best places for toproping.  Best bet is to use a shorter piece of rope (tie a knot in it!) to get from trees to the anchors and then use those for the TR.  Be careful!

Ward

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »

Better call the rescue squad!  ;D

If you are as new to climbing as it appears, (nothing wrong with that), it would behoove you to listen a bit to those who are more experienced, like tradman and Ward. If I were you, and didn't have a more experienced mentor, I would be up front and introduce my self to others at the cliff. Explain that you are learning and were hoping to do some top roping. Most likely there will be some there who can help you get your rope set up without having to screw around at the top of the cliff and possibly knocking stuff down on people below etc. If your rope is good quality you might offer for someone to use it to lead and then leave it up for you. Give them a couple of longish quickdraws to use at the anchors. Make sure you know the proper technique for cleaning your draws and rope from the anchors beforehand, so you don't have to rely on someone else. If you are not familiar with this, read up or ask here.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:32:29 AM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DLottmann

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »

I know you are planning on Rumney, but as a few have mentioned it does not have easily accessed top anchors, and you will probably get some frowns if you thrash around trying to do so.  If you don't want to rely on other climbers consider going to Pawtuckaway instead, where you can easily set anchors from trees at the top with 20-30 feet or less of webbing.  Ideally take a course from a qualified guide service and be sure to state what you want to learn.  2 days with a qualified guide can save you years of doing it the wrong way, as can reading good books on the topic AND finding a mentor.

bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:01:39 AM »

adoherty, If I am correct, we met at EMS and I recomended that you ask here about Rumney because I have never tried to set a TR there. I hope that if you did go to Rumney it was fun and everyone was helpful. Either way, I am probably heading over to Quincy Qarries on Thursday with a few buddies. It sounded like you were already fairly competent at building anchors, but if you want any more practice, (or just want to climb) QQ is an easy place to do it. There aren't as many climbs and it isn't as beautiful as Rumney, but it's close to boston and you don't have to hang out with a bunch of sport climbers :)
I'll be working on bikes tomorrow or you can shoot me an email at bluesnpolitics@yahoo.com if you want to come along. Weather should be good in the AM.
DrewD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.