NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dating Climbers: Good Idea? Bad Idea?  (Read 547 times)

haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Dating Climbers: Good Idea? Bad Idea?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 07:47:48 AM »

...hopefully, you view medicine as more than an adventure....

(unless you are an insurance exec...)

"Ever notice that Doctors and pilots can't wait to tell you they're doctors and pilots"
                                    -Poundstone

StephieGirl

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Woohooo!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 08:02:07 AM »

"Ever notice that Doctors and pilots can't wait to tell you they're doctors and pilots"
                                    -Poundstone

Hahahaha! Great quote - I was at a party yesterday and met some MDs. One was working so hard to get my attention that he mostly qualified himself with his job and how much money he makes .... blah blah blah was all I heard. That wasn't the first time that it happened. I guess it is something to be proud of, but flaunting it turns me off.  It just means that they don't have much time to go out and give me a belay. ;-)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 08:03:53 AM by StephieGirl »

bumpkin

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Christopher S-G
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 08:42:00 AM »

Hey Stephanie, I am an impoverished grad student with a flexible schedule, I'll give you a belay anytime... (joking)

But on the subject of the original post: like most guys who climb, a girl who climbs is pretty much at the top of our lists. You know the old saw: "a couple that plays together, stays together".

Having said that, not too long ago I hooked up with a British girl at a conference: we went quickly from talking about finite element methods to planning a quick Red Rocks/JT trip post-conference. She's awesome: perhaps because she learned to climb in England, she had no problems running it out over sketchy pro on hard leads, moved fast, hated "faffing around"...we climbed 10-12 pitches a day, a "rest day" meaning getting on the rock at nine instead of seven, and met up months later for nine days of ice climbing in the Canadian Rockies.  The only problem (apart from the ocean between us, alas) was we were both more interested in getting lots of climbing in than much else and big days with early starts heavily comprimised our, uh.... unroped activities.

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 03:03:46 PM »

Yeah, here's to the unroped activities. ;D  

I've been dating my girlfriend for a year and that's about how long she's climbed for.  She started a month before i met her.  It's great to go climbing with her when we can, 4-5 times so far and she's picking it up well (sport, ice, bouldering and trad).  There is a certain amount of frustration for me though in that I've done most of the easy climbs and don't like to wait in line on weekends because I've done that for years.  But I do so my girl can have a fun day climbing, and any climbing is fun.  I'm in sort of a rush to get her to climbing harder but she doesn't have too much time to go climbing and she works weekends and I work weekdays.  DOH!  

Fortunately we've reached an understanding in that if her and I go climbing, it's just her and I on easy stuff, in the past I took the "more the merrier" approach and invited a bunch of people to go climbing and we'd end up climbing stuff that was too hard for her and she'd get frustrated and I'd get impatient.  She completly understands about when i want to go out with some more experienced climbers to push my limits a bit more now, and I encourage her to go climbing with other people whenever possible.  When we climb together now, I settle in for a nice casual day and enjoy my time with her and try to teach her as much as I can about moving fast and efficient.  Thankfully she's got a gift for untangling my ropes since I have a gift for tangling them at every belay.    

John Jackson

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 04:26:06 PM »

I think DH has it going great! Sharing a common passion with someone you're seeing is so good when you're both quality human beings who like being with each other.  Climbing is like anything else though; it attracts it's share of bad news people too.  Posers and sprayers are good ones to consider twice before trusting.  Same goes for those who might want you to think they have any kind of charmed lives.  If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

How cliche!  :P

-toad

lynniefish

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 10:44:11 AM »

yes yes dont worry, medicine is not an adventure in THAT sense. though i find that the times i have to be most alert and on top of medical skills comes when i am having an adventure, and someone else's adventure comes to an abrupt halt with a medical emergency.

as for andy.... he doesnt make too much money yet, so he didnt try to sell himself to me that way (sorry that you had to listen to a blah blah blah doctor, stephie) but its nice to be in the BC with someone who could stitch me up if i needed it... its not much fun to stich up myself.

ouch.

mattyboy

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 11:13:22 AM »

I can't take it anymore!  

Is it me, or does StephieGirl sound too good to be true???

8) ???

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2003, 11:17:58 AM »

You look like Jennifer Love Hewit, you climb, and you are single??   :o
Now I wish I hadn't mentioned that i have a climber girlfriend. >:(

Just kidding!  She might be reading this, Hi honey! :-*

:)
boy these smiley faces are fun. 8)

Mattyboy

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2003, 12:47:24 PM »

StephieGirl--contrary to popular belief, it doesn't always make a woman more attractive if she climbs at a high level.  It's more of the attitude and mindset that come with being a climber.  As I think about it, I actually have been turned off by many women climbing at a very high level.  Their attitudes seem to change, for the worse that is.  How's that for a generalization???  

By the way, Burlington VT is a great town, you should think about relocating ;) ;)

StephieGirl

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Woohooo!!!
MattyBoy
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2003, 01:04:43 PM »

I can see your POV on that and I'll keep it in mind if I do get to a high level.  The key word being "If"

Should I look you up if I move there?

MJS

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 01:45:24 PM »

Whoa--for some reason this doesn't feel like a climbing forum anymore?  Maybe this is a new trend--we can always hope.  

StephieGirl--check your messages ;D

vtrocker

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Que Pasa Homie?
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2003, 12:25:39 PM »

I think its fine as long as your girlfriend doesn't show you up.
Climb hard and take chances

StephieGirl

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Woohooo!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2003, 08:47:03 AM »

I think its fine as long as your girlfriend doesn't show you up.

Are you talking in attitude or in actual ability to climb?  The attitude I can understand because it's just unattractive on anyone, but what are ya talkin' here?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2003, 01:25:33 PM »

stephiegirl, what's the matter with you? <grin> you should be out there climbing on a day like this, not on-line! if you don't have a partner to get out on the cliff with, move up here to North Conway. I'm sure you can hook up if you were living up here. (fwiw  I've already been out climbing all morning.)

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2003, 12:04:43 PM »

I found that climbing with my girlfriend was great at first, but quickly went to being something that was not good...

I quickly realized we had a BIG contrast...
She had amazing potential to be a great climber, but did not believe in yourself...
I have quickly realized my potential because I believe in myself...

Aside from that, it was hard because of other factors "at home" that were being dragged to the cliffs...

Make a long story short, it was not the best thing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 23 queries.