NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney Trailwork, Forest Service Etc.  (Read 370 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Rumney Trailwork, Forest Service Etc.
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »

I got a call from The Forest Service today. They asked that we hold off on any trailwork at Rumney for now. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to hold off a year to fix up a trail that is getting heavily eroded and where large rocks are cutting loose, particularly since they have always been happy with our trailwork before, but that is bureaucracy for you :-(  I wouldn't let that stop me from discretely shoring something up if I thought it was dangerous, but we should hold off on doing anything major, particularly if it would entail rerouting or breaking new ground. The Forest Service trail crew, biologists etc are making their own assessment and plans for the trail system. So far we have had a pretty good working relationship with them and we should maintain that. My understanding is that the new general Forest Plan is coming out in July for comment and portions pertain to the management of climbing areas. We should all keep our eyes out for it, study it, and send in our comments.

I am somewhat concerned that with the implementation of the new Forest Plan, that the Forest Service may become a bit heavy handed and run roughshod over our Memorandum of Understanding that we worked out years ago between the RCA and the FS. In it we were given, for the most part, the position of caretaker for the maintenance of routes and the trail system. It is a system that has worked very well in the past and should work well in the future. Some of our members have been coming to Rumney for 20 even 30 years. There is a lot of experience there of the Rumney hillside, the climbing, biology, travel patterns, trail building, interaction with the town and FS, and most of all a deep love and respect for Rumney as well as a sense for the aesthetics of the area. If the creative imagination and initiative of climbers is stifled by an overly hands on approach by the FS, I think Rumney will be worse for it and the Forest Service will be shooting themselves in the foot. In light of this, I think it is important that all Rumney climbers get their contact information to the RCA so that we can maintain a dialog amongst ourselves and with the Forest service. Hopefully Bob Bruemmer has a current email address for us to send this to. Everybody can then be contacted more easily for future meetings, trail days etc.

BOB?

I have also been asked to pass on the information that the Forest Service will be cracking down on the parking passes, including potential fines and towing. Apparently some in the organization would like to make an example of Rumney. Well, some of you may know how I feel about the parking passes. Many of us have refused to buy them over the years as an act of civil disobedience in protest against the commercialization of our forests, the underhanded way the program was enacted, the inefficiency,  turning rangers into parking maids etc., etc. It is a bad program IMO. I am not going to tell anyone to buy the passes, only pass the info along. I didn't like it, but I finally bought one this past weekend. My feeling was that you have to pick your battles. In a time when we our trying to get our government to get us out of the mess of Iraq and all the other scandalous events, it is too easy for people to say "don't be cheep and pay your 20-25 dollars" and not get the real reasons why it is a bad program. My feeling is that it is more important not to have the issue make bad blood between us and the Forest Service, many of whom don't like it either. If we can maintain our sense of stewardship for our public land by joining the RCA and working positively with the Forest Service, than we are negating one of my main issue with the program.

Mark Sprague,

Member of RCA and trail crew

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Rumney Trailwork, Forest Service Etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:32:53 AM »

yah, I'm in. How do you join the Rca?

handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »

yah, I'm in. How do you join the Rca?

Same here ... info please.

As for the parking fees, if we refuse to pay the $3, it'll soon be up to $5 to make up for the loss.  It may never stop rising until they get the money they need to finance the work done at Rumney.  Even though I hate to pay for parking when this land was handed over to the WMNF to be kept as a climbing area, I would like to encourage that we pay the $3 per day or $25 for the year for all WMNF parking.  As it stands now, there is not enough parking spaces on the weekend to handle the crowds.  The WMNF may have to consider making more parking spaces is the future, or another lot nearer to pole 37.  This all takes money, and not knowing how the money is dolled out, I'm just assuming here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:11:28 AM by handjammer »
Do what you must do and do it well ... Dylan

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:44:58 AM »

I will be trying to reach Bob and Shimberg this week. In the past, we have been pretty informal about membership, just show up at meetings express your opinion, be active, and you are in. I would like to see a little more formal approach taken so we and the FS know who we are. The sooner we reconstitute our membership roll the better. until an email address is posted here, if you don't mind snail mail, you could probably send a note to the address that Bob gave us in the fundraiser thread

Shimberg, Bob, Art, do you want to chime in here?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

Thanks Mark.  I use the snail mail.  You all are busy enough at this point.  Did you get a chance to bolt the route on the far left on Triple Corners?

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »

Maybe this should be a new topic but, is there a membership fee for the RCA? If not should there be? Would the RCA have more stature with the forest service if there was financial backing? I know this could be a sticky topic and may be away from the mission of the RCA but unfortunatly $ talks and it also takes the edge off of volunteer organizations. Money would help build a bigger stronger organization. I should end this by saying I hate money and I dont like the parking fee as it is but you guys make a good point.
Mike

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »

Mike, you bring up subjects that I was thinking of too and would like to discuss at our next meeting. So far there haven't been any membership dues.

I am actually waiting for a call back from Jim Shimberg right now. It is very short notice, but I would like to see if we could possibly get together this weekend (maybe at the RockBarn?) to have a quick look over some of these issues. I will let everyone know here as soon as I have more info.

Handjammer- Yup, I got the one to the left of Hasig's bolted and lead. I would like to give it a bit more sweeping, but it is pretty good to go. 4 bolts to anchors, around 10b people say. Start up the corner like for Hasig's for a few moves, then undercling out flakes onto the left wall. A stick clip is not a bad idea, as the lower foot holds are thin and a slip might have you falling off the ledge. No name yet

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 08:16:13 AM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:24 PM »

Hi all,

here's an address that you cna send your contact info too. rumneyclimbers@yahoo.com
it would be great to have a meeting this weekend and start to revitalize the organization.

Cheers, Bob

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »

Thanks Bob. Everybody get your contact info in and pass the word around. The more names the better.

We are tentatively shooting for a Saturday evening meeting after climbing, either at the Rock Barn or The Calm Post. Katy and Josh, would that be all right? I will be talking to Jim later today to confirm he can make it. Since he is President, he is rather key. Bob, would that be a good time for you also?

I think on our agenda should be: 1. Current status of the RCA...funds, officers, etc  2.Membership and whether we should have a small fee 3. Protection of our MOU with the Forest Service

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »

spraugeeee,

Thanks for driving this,
Saturday sounds great.

handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »

Will this Saturdays meeting be for just present members or may us wanna-b's attend?

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »

New members would be very welcome!

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »

New members would be very welcome!

Thanks Mark ... I be watching for the final word as to where and when.

Alan

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »

Sorry to say I have a wedding to go to on sat. I am very interested in being part and will for sure be at the next one. Mark, can you pitch the Blueberry pancake Idea? I will be at rumney sunday I hope to bump into you guys. I will for sure pass the word for sat.
Mike

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 08:09:13 PM »

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to be in touch with a few people to confirm. The electricity and phones have been going out here all day and I think people have been out guiding. The plan I am working towards is meeting at the Calm Post at 6:00 pm Saturday. I don't know Katy and Joshe's telephone # (Calm Post). If anybody else does and it is not too late, could you give them a call and have them check their email.

If I knew how many people were going to show up it would help. If it is a relatively small # I think it would be alright to show up unannounced. If it is going to be a horde than we will definitely have to meet at the Rock Barn. I will stop in for breakfast at the cafe Saturday and check if meeting there would be OK and leave a note on the parking kiosk on what the plan is. I will post up here if I know sooner.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.