NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Parking Lot at Rumney  (Read 159 times)

gags

• NEClimbs Full Member
New Parking Lot at Rumney
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »

I just want to know what the general consensus is on building a new parking lot.  Rumney already gets pretty busy, those parking lots are already pretty big, and a new parking lot would attract a lot of climbers to parts of the park with less developed trails, contributing to more erosion, where they would otherwise not go.  It does not seem like a good idea to me.

Pharmboy

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: New Parking Lot at Rumney
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »

My friend is a concrete contractor and has offered to build a parking lot at a great price.  He's even willing to stain the concrete a dark green in order to blend in with the environment.   For a small additional price he is willing to build concrete steps up to the base of all the cliffs.  This will alleviate the risk of erosion. 

This contractor will be up at the cliff in a few days using one of his special chisels to notch out a new hold so that I can complete a hard route I've been working.  If anyone needs an extra hold on a route you're struggling with please let me know and I'll have him add a hold on your route as well.

I think the new parking lot is a great idea and I say we should just pave the world over with lovely concrete. 

Rich

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »

No. The Forest Service is not interested and there is no room for another anyway. The thing to do is use the ones we have more efficiently. Park close together and carpool, from further away and from the parking lot at the town hall/ church in the village. People also shouldn't park at the small lot if they are not willing to double and triple up in columns. If you get there early and you see another car, park up closely, rather than following human nature and park far apart.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

leewee

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • crack addict
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »

i normally go to rumney during the week so i was amazed when i went on a weekend and saw the zoo in full effect... people were parked all over the sides of the road and in all sorts of crazy places... a parking lot would help for a while but then more people would prolly show up... what we need is a hot new sport crag to thin out the crowds those are hard to find/develop so it seems we are in a pickle...

redpoint73

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »

Seems like the Forest Service trend is to crack down on climbing at Rumney, not the opposite.

I would say that the limited (present parking situation) parking is a good thing.  More parking would likely just draw more people, and you would have a crowded lot and cars on the road just like you have now.

If anything, there should be some enforcement of people who illegally park on the road and piss off the locals (which seems to be getting increasingly common).  Either self-policing, by forest service, or local police.  I for one think they should just ticket and tow anyone that is parked in the road.  The town hall is a short walk if the lots are full, and it says it right in the guidebook, so ignorance is no excuse.  I love Rumney, and would be very disappointed if access was threated due to people being lazy and thumbing their nose at the law (and plain common sense).

bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »

I concur- no more parking lot development. Get up a little earlier if you want to park legally. At 8:45 the lots are still mainly empty, even on a nice day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.