NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barefoot Climbing  (Read 186 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Barefoot Climbing
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:09:47 PM »

So what do you people think about barefoot climbing? I have started to really get into it. It takes a little getting used to it and you have to toughen up you feet a bit, but it is a very interesting experience. You have to pick your climbs. A slab leader fall could be nasty, but on TR it can be fun. On overhanging sport climbs I find that I can use my feet more like a monkey. Beta is often different, but many climbs are actually easier in bare feet. It is nice for me at Rumney as I have already climbed many of the routes there and barefoot makes them almost like a new climb.

I am thinking that Ward should put in a new category of ascent in the new guide book; something like "pied natural" or something. It is an extension of the idea of free climbing vs. aid
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Barefoot Climbing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »

on sharp rock it hurts, cracks hurt, My feet are pretty tough but I will admit that I am a wimp when it comes to anything hard barefoot. More power to you though....

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:54:01 PM »

Henry Barber did a lot of his stuff barefoot. he got the idea when he was in Dresden with Weissner. those guys did some amazing stuff barefoot.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »

Yea they are pretty inspiring. That kind of featured sandstone is very nice in bare feet. I haven't done much foot or toe jamming, and don't think I will. I like steep featured climbs. The granite of NC could be nasty.
Centerpiece at Bonsai is very good without shoes. Underdog and Peanutman are pretty good, a bit harder in BF. I am working on Tin Monkeys along with Chris and Ward in that style. It is a little more pumpy but really nice.

If anybody wants to try it, I would suggest something steep and featured and only do one climb per day in BF at first and then build up. The first couple weeks it is pretty uncomfortable and then you get the technique and your skin toughens up. Just like your hands when you first started climbing. Then it is a whole different experience..a bit like walking on the beach without shoes. Saves money on  too.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:17:53 PM »

Barefooting on Chapel Pond Slabs.  The Adirondacks.
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »

haha.. so ward got YOU into it.   I saw him do Easter Squall  barefoot and with it running like a river.. i was impressed haha.   I've only done Reposession and Sixth Sense..  i'm sure others would be fun but i have too many projects to start doing stuff i've already done.   You do have to have pretty tough feet.. which luckily i do since i wear sandals or no shoes most of the time unless i'm working.    I did the whitehorse walk off barefoot.. my friend was hurting and put his climbing shoes back on but i was fine.

"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 23 queries.