NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rattle  (Read 106 times)

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
rattle
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:21:18 AM »

South Buttress is becoming a dangerous place! We were walking up when saw a snake stretched across the trail. I didn't know what kind it was and tried to move it with a stick when it started rattling. Much longer stick was employed and the creature retreated.
I looked up some pictures on the web, but couldn't find a match - it looked neither like timber nor like diamondback rattlesnake. Are there any other kinds live in the area?
-om

Jim Ewing

Re: rattle
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 07:47:12 AM »

I saw one of these babies about 20 years ago pretty close to Bouchard's cabin.  Same sort of deal; saw the snake, didn't recognize it, employed the stick and WHOA :o! The damn thing sat up, fangs popped out and nailed the end of the stick about four or five times. I heard the rattle and thought maybe it was a woodland rattler; I'd heard of them but never seen one.  Upon closer inspection, very careful inspection mind you, I noticed there was no rattle on the tail. The snake was beating it's tail very rapidly against the leaves creating a rattle like sound. After talking to and describing the snake to various people it was decided that it was probably a copperhead. There have been numerous sightings around Cathedral and Whitehorse since then. I should point out that copperheads are venomous and while they probably won't kill you a bite from one will make you wish you were dead.

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 11:01:26 AM »

Ah, I give up - looked for similar copperhead photo and couldn't find one either. The color schema is very similar, but this snake had light brown background and diamond shaped pattern on its back. Beautiful! I think you are right thought, I didn't see the rattle either, and the tail looked very slim. I just didn't know they would rattle too :) Anyway, it was quite passive and didn't move until I harassed it, if we wouldn't notice it we would've stepped on it for sure. Keep your eyes open...
-om

LizzyBee

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • What bugs?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 02:11:05 PM »

It might also be one of these:
http://www.umass.edu/umext/nrec/snake_pit/pages/milk.html A milk snake. The description mentions tail rattling.

Lizz
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Benjamin Franklin(Scott's dad)

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »

maybe... it did look a bit like this one
http://community.webshots.com/photo/69283579/69285371HMLBHC
but the diamonds were very well geometrically shaped and there was no black contour... However, the head was not triangular like copperheads should have...
It didn't try to bite, just coiled and rattled. When retreating it was making sudden shifts while crawling.
-om

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 02:50:29 PM »

Could have been an Eastern Hognose Snake.  They are non-venomous but perform an array of tricks to fool any potential threat.  First they would rattle the leaves with their tail, like a rattler, then they can puff-out there body to appear bigger and cobra like, I think they do something with their mouth to emulate a cottonmouth (?), finally if all else fails they play dead.  As I understand it they are blackish snakes with diamond-type markings.  I don't think they bite but put on an impressive show that would scare away most critters, including us two-legged critters.  They have a funny upturned nose to em.  I've never seen one but I think they are native to the entire east coast.  The Hognose snakes' head does not show the triangular shape that is evident to most pit-vipers (copperheads, rattlers, and adders).  I may very well be completly wrong on this but snakes are cool.  

RickB

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • It should be fun!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 04:00:04 AM »

I second the Hognose theory. Also, they can be a lighter brown as described. They can act extremely menacingly.

MJS

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 08:01:12 AM »

I encountered what I think was a milk snake last summer at Lower West Bolton in VT.  I had piled the rope at my feet, and was in the process of bringing my second up the climb when I heard a rattling.  I too immediately thought it was some sort of rattle snake.  It was poking it's head up through the stacked rope, sort of striking at the rope.  Put a good scare into me, most aggressive snake I have ever encountered. Even more so than the numerous copperheads we came face to face with in the New.  Now that place is scary!

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:14:25 AM »

... and this baby was greating us at the Wild River on Friday
-om
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.