Author Topic: AMC trail crew  (Read 887 times)

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
Re: AMC trail crew
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »
That's correct,the gravel and leaves are part of the experience.The whole sport is built around the hardest way to get up something,why do you need crutch for the start?
Tom Stryker

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »
It's a joke!!!

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
Steve I was responding to Dman's post.I always just stash my walker in those boulders at the base.
Tom Stryker

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
That's correct,the gravel and leaves are part of the experience.The whole sport is built around the hardest way to get up something,why do you need crutch for the start?

What have you got against crutches?  ;) Many of us oldsters have used them on more than one occasion. ;D

DLottmann

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »

Stone steps are a "crutch"? Hiking uphill is hiking uphill IMO... Remember I was against over-flagging the trail to Lost Ledge... but a roadside crag like Humprhey's would not lose anything by a 30 step staircase where everyone knows the erosion sucks...

And wasn't the sport started by people trying  to find the "weaknesses" up the cliff? Just what I read in Yankee Rock and Ice... but meh... we all have opinions...

DLottmann

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
...The whole sport is built around the hardest way to get up something...

I have to elaborate on why I think this is a bad analogy... even the hardest climbs involved figuring out the easiest way to get up them, most efficient, etc... otherwise just stop using your feet...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:31:52 AM by DMan »

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
I'm still for a group hug and copious quantities of beer..... or bourbon.

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
For my part Dman,I just don't like everything to look like man just HAD to frig with it. Trails seem unavoidable,steps I can do without.We have some nice people that walk on the road here in Chatham,and they often pick up litter.Unfortunately they erect those little rock ducks everywhere they go,with the same effect,everything looks like somebody just had to frig with nature.It's almost as bad as the litter .Just me I guess.

Did you mean "involve figuring out"? I'm a little dense.I don't think your analogy holds water.The first routes usually take the path of least resistance,followed by ones of increasing difficulty,or so has been my observation.

I'll have the bourbon please.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:29:16 AM by The other tomcat »
Tom Stryker

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:13 AM »
Rumney, just like indoors only it's outdoors :)  There should be a fixed line up the steps to clip your ascender to. Those steps look dangerous!
work hard, play harder

Offline epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
Was up there this weekend.

Took the steps down, and they look nice. Though a bit overconstructed for what they are. The natural weakness that was blasted to 'improve it' now looks like shit, and isn't all that much better. Sure, it will help the neophytes with their terror while walking up the trail, but the trail still needs allot of work. Especially the areas that they cut that are already being undermined by people using a weakness a few feet away, because its easier to not walk on the rocks. The downed timber and widow-makers hanging out make for some interesting obsticals to negotiate. I'd like to see what it will look like when it is completely done, but for now, it's looking alright.

A better place for stairs, IMO, would be from 5.8 crag up to the new trail. That thing is tricky to negotiate, even more with leaves lubricating the ground.

Better signage and development of the new staircase trail at the road would help too. If you don't know that there is something there, or are not paying attention you will surely miss it.

DLottmann

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
Did you mean "involve figuring out"?

I meant "involved"... oops.

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
Parking lots, parking fees(aka federal welfare), signs, stairs, the Forest Service, ladders bolted to cliffs, prehung draws, dynamite and power tools are an integral part of my quality outdoor experience.
Someone's gonna get hurt on those stairs.
work hard, play harder

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
I know a good lawyer!!! CrazyT you forgot boombox in your list of quality outdoor experiences.

Offline shephelmsaups

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Greetings all, let me introduce myself
AMC trail crew
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

Im surprised at the different jurisdictions being an issue - I thought AMC was coordinating them all, but guess not.

I spoke with Alex Sat Morning at Camp Dodge, he told me the trails Im interested in are USFS and I need to hook up with Saco Ranger District.

I ran across another trail work leader who gave me contact information, so I guess Im all set for now.

I spent the morning with the generic crew on Old Jackson Road, pulling up an old bog bridge, but I had to leave before the construction of the new bridge. We had pretty awesome material to work with, nice rough-finished stringers and mundo base logs.

Its amazing how heavy the old logs are after soaking up water for years