Author Topic: Bunyan Mt in Western Mass  (Read 304 times)

lakeclimbr

Bunyan Mt in Western Mass
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
Has anyone checked out Bunyan Mt in Western Mass?  The "Rock 'N Road" book says that it has 140" beg/int walls.  Interested if it's easy to locate and if there's any trad routes <5.5.  Heading west on 90 and it appears to be close off the highway.  Wouldn't mind checking out it for a few hours.

DWarriner

Re: Bunyan Mt in Western Mass
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
I was there about 10 years ago.  It was okay, but not great.  If you live in Palmer it might be worth the investment, but I liked Podunk better.  If you don't live around there, go somewhere else.  Chossy, discontinuous cliffs.  Maybe it's cleaner now.

I went there once with a friend who showed me the way.  I went back a year later and couldn't find the crag from the parking lot.  I dragged a friend#2 around in circles for an hour or more before I gave up.   10 years later, I wouldn't even be able to tell you where to park.

I think Chapel Ledge has got some nice easy stuff.

-David

plue

Re: Bunyan Mt in Western Mass
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:27:27 PM »
I,ve been there twice this spring and a few times last year.  My opinion is that it,s not a great place for beginners or those looking for safe easy grades, but the place definitely has potential if it were cleaned up a bit.  The one thing it has going for it is some lead climbing that doesn,t exist in that part of Mass otherwise, (as far as I know).  I don,t know of any lead routes there under 5.7 however and they quickly get harder and more run-out from there.

If the weather is threatening and I,m sick of top-roping I,ll head over there to avoid going further out of my way.  It,s definitely worth checking it out if you live within and hour of Palmer.  It,s about 10 minutes from Mass-Pike exit 8.

If you,re top-roping bring some good long slings and a 60 meter rope for the main slab, it,s quite tall.  If your a strong leader it got some interesting routes, (even a 3 foot step of faith from a pillar to a overhanging roof 30 feet up).

PM me for more info.

Paul