Author Topic: Good Article on EMS's new direction  (Read 417 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Good Article on EMS's new direction
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:44:51 pm »
very interesting... so when is the North Conway store moving into the new mall going up where the old Yield House used to be?

--al
Al Hospers

Offline TParis

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Solid Rock Climbers for Christ
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:40 am »
"On a deeper level, it represents fundamental changes in Eastern Mountain's corporate strategy, as the company moves away from its stance as a general sporting goods retailer to focusing specifically on outdoor enthusiasts and their desires."

I think that they got this mixed up backwards. What I have experienced as a customer/staff member is a general moves away from hardcore outdoor shop towards becoming a general sporting goods/clothing retailer.  Did I miss something?

I have always thought that they would do better as freestanding stores as opposed to being in a mall.

customer service is king!
It is not coincidence that the word crux comes from the root word meaning The Cross. In the climb of life how will get by "the crux"? http://www.srcfc.org/

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »
very interesting... so when is the North Conway store moving into the new mall going up where the old Yield House used to be?
--al

I haven't heard any timeline for that yet... but I have heard of it happening.

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:11:17 pm »
...What I have experienced as a customer/staff member is a general moves away from hardcore outdoor shop towards becoming a general sporting goods/clothing retailer.  Did I miss something?...

Depends how long you've been observing. When I left the company in 96' it was definitely heading that way. Eisles apon eisles of Columbia ski parkas and stacks of "mountain sweaters" and corduroy's a la LL Bean style. Without a doubt the stores have more high-end technical clothing and gear than they had back in those days, and the EMS Brand itself has made some nice improvements. I've also got a sneak preview of the Fall line and there is some truly nice pieces of soft-shell clothing coming. The clothing developers down at Corporate have really started listening to the climbing guides and it will show in some of the clothes and packs this winter. Since EMS appeals to the whole "urban adventurer" type person, it will never be a pure gear shop, but you should be able to get some solid advice from their associates.

Offline TParis

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Solid Rock Climbers for Christ
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:08:30 am »
Depends how long you've been observing. When I left the company in 96' it was definitely heading that way. Eisles apon eisles of Columbia ski parkas and stacks of "mountain sweaters" and corduroy's a la LL Bean style. Without a doubt the stores have more high-end technical clothing and gear than they had back in those days, and the EMS Brand itself has made some nice improvements. I've also got a sneak preview of the Fall line and there is some truly nice pieces of soft-shell clothing coming. The clothing developers down at Corporate have really started listening to the climbing guides and it will show in some of the clothes and packs this winter. Since EMS appeals to the whole "urban adventurer" type person, it will never be a pure gear shop, but you should be able to get some solid advice from their associates.

It's about time.
It is not coincidence that the word crux comes from the root word meaning The Cross. In the climb of life how will get by "the crux"? http://www.srcfc.org/

Offline climber377

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:46:35 pm »
EMS has definately gotten cooler gear in the past year or so however they don't take good care of their people. No match on 401k, crappy raises, so on and so on. They definately have a lot vested in clothing. Its a shame they don't bring in more hardgoods.