NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: onion head trees...  (Read 125 times)

slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
onion head trees...
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:44:51 AM »

here goes folks; i'm suprised we;ve all been so silent for so long.  at the last informal fixed anchor meeting the one significant consensus was regarding the rappel station at the top of onion head, on the thin air face: that the slings and rings should be removed, and all parties discouraged from using onion head as a rappel descent from thin air.  the preferred descent is a nice walk down the road.

however, yesterday some folks fixed a big shiney chain, padlocked around said tree.  this will be removed as soon as some big chain snippers can be acquired.  but the issue remains regardless.  sometimes there are reasons for anchor upkeep (and this includes removal, in this case), and perhaps the local community's impetus in these matters should continue to be respected.

comments?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: onion head trees...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 07:00:23 AM »

now that's a new one...a padlocked chain. and of course you gotta wonder what's the weakest link, the chain or the lock!!

in any event Slob is correct. the community consensus is that folks shouldn't be allowed to rap down that face. there are a lot of climbs coming up through there & besides everything else it is dangerous. if you really feel as if you MUST rap back to where you started, one option is to go over to the Saigons belay and go down there. the anchor is right of where the climbs come & and left of any others. in addition I believe that you can rap down just right of Standard Route.

you actually don't have to walk down the road. Êthere is a very nice climbers trail that goes down next to the cliff. it starts just at the top of Pine Tree's top out and dumps you right by the right side of the winter ice pillars near the gate. it takes you less than 10 minutes from top to bottom and is in the shade the whole way.

Al
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 11:51:57 AM by admin »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

zeolite

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 08:24:49 AM »

Why not just install a designated single rope rappel route to the right of the thin air face? This way no one will be creamed by the yahoos too lazy to hike for half an hour back up to the base of the wall.

On any given weekend day, there are at least three times more people who rappel than walk around. No one below appreciates this, but no one wants to walk around either in rock shoes. There is clearly demand for a rap route. Until one is installed and new climbers informed of its whereabouts, this kind of crap will continue.  

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 08:33:28 AM »

My honest feeling is that a rap route should be established...one that is safe and out of the way. ÊPrimarily because I agree that, no matter what you do, people will continue to rap off the trees...However, it seems to me very unlikely that the community will accept a fixed rap route. ÊIn the meantime every effort should be made to keep people from rapping down Onion Head...for their own safety as well as the safety of everyone below.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 11:50:45 AM by admin »
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Erik N

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 11:00:12 AM »

The issue is not about rapping.  Every climber raps and will most likely continue.  The issue about the onion head rap is respect.  It's the lack of respect to parties below getting ropes thrown at them.  It's yelling the word, "Rope!" at the same time throwing your rope without looking or waiting for a response.  
  Is removing the Onion head anchor going to change that?  Absolutely!  Now the idiots are going to rap down Thin Air clogging up that route further, or just as bad go over to Still in Saigon and annoy climbers over there.
 Here's what I advocate:
   1.  If it's busy, don't rap walk.   If there are climbers below you, don't rap walk.
    2.  If you have to rap, yell, "Rope!" wait for a response and then lower, NOT THROW! your rope down.
   3.  If you see climbers being naive, ignorant or just plain disrespectful, educate them. Let them know of their other choices.
   4. At Cathedral Ledge rack up at the car and plan on bringing your shoes with you on the climb.
    5.  SHOW RESPECT!  Being a bad neighbor on the cliff kills the fun factor.  

jimmy jam

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 04:31:31 PM »

A can of worms opened when routes are made  guide/user friendly?. My suggestion is stay the hell away from that area, more so at the weekends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 22 queries.