The issue is not about rapping. Every climber raps and will most likely continue. The issue about the onion head rap is respect. It's the lack of respect to parties below getting ropes thrown at them. It's yelling the word, "Rope!" at the same time throwing your rope without looking or waiting for a response.
Is removing the Onion head anchor going to change that? Absolutely! Now the idiots are going to rap down Thin Air clogging up that route further, or just as bad go over to Still in Saigon and annoy climbers over there.
Here's what I advocate:
1. If it's busy, don't rap walk. If there are climbers below you, don't rap walk.
2. If you have to rap, yell, "Rope!" wait for a response and then lower, NOT THROW! your rope down.
3. If you see climbers being naive, ignorant or just plain disrespectful, educate them. Let them know of their other choices.
4. At Cathedral Ledge rack up at the car and plan on bringing your shoes with you on the climb.
5. SHOW RESPECT! Being a bad neighbor on the cliff kills the fun factor.