NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Influential climbers  (Read 105 times)

xmikeyx

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • The Patron Saint of Engineering
Influential climbers
« on: July 07, 2003, 10:40:34 AM »

So...I was in the shower today thinking about climbing - as I usually do - and specifically climbing in New England, how it's changed, how standards were set here back in the day and how standards are still being set in an area that a lot of people refer to as a kind of climbing backwater these days (I disagree but on trips out west I've heard "You're from New England? What's there to climb out out there?")
And I was wondering who people think of as being the most influential climber(s) who have called New England home over the years? A whole slew of names came to mind and I was just wondering what you all thought - Underhill, Pruden, Henderson, Weissner (dunno if he counts), Bouchard, Barber, Surrette, Webster, or newer guys like Dave Graham, Mark Synott, Tim Kemple, etc...Some set the mark with crazy solos, some with old school sketchfests, some with 5.14 redpoints, some by raising worldwide standars, some with big alpine expeditions, some with books...
Just wondering who you all think is/was the man/woman of New England climbing...That is if everyone can stop arguing about rusty old fixed pins for a few mintues...  ;) :P
Climb hard, climb smart or fall...That's all there is to it.

Tomcat

Re: Influential climbers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 02:00:37 PM »

OK, I'll bite. For me it would be Barber. Many great routes here, kicked ass in the valley, futuristic solos, climbed by East German rules when there( bare feet, knotted slings ), turned Australia upside down( or right side up) with free ascents, soloed new route in Pamirs, did it all in barefeet or EB's, with stoppers and hexes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 22 queries.