Author Topic: Mean Streak (450', WI 6, M7) Cannon Cliff, Franconia Notch, NH  (Read 731 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Mean Streak (450', WI 6, M7) Cannon Cliff, Franconia Notch, NH
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
Mean Streak (450', WI 6, M7) Cannon Cliff, Franconia Notch, NH (FA: Will Mayo and Andy Tuthill, 12/11/2007)

(from Will Mayo)

Andy Tuthill and I returned to Cannon Cliff in Franconia Notch, NH yesterday to try the mixed line to the left of Omega.  We've all looked at it over the years and wondered.  She go!

It's one Mean Streak (450', WI 6, M7), Cannon Cliff, Franconia Notch, NH (FA: Will Mayo and Andy Tuthill, 12/11/2007)!

We climbed it in three pitches of sustained difficulty.  We climbed it traditionally, ground up, free, onsight and didn't leave a stitch of fixed protection behind (however, we dropped one lost arrow piton on the first pitch and one dyneema sling into the depths of a wide crack behind the giant shattered flake at the very top of the wall - litter bugs!)

The ice is scant but exciting; the rock is of reasonably good quality with mostly good hooking and torque-ing the whole way.  There is some loose rock (especially toward the top) and belaying where indicated on the "topo" would ensure safety for the belayer from falling rock.  The smear to the right of the line we took on the third pitch will make a fine variation someday.  We felt it was a little too lean yesterday.

We carried a full rack of pins, single rack of nuts, single rack of cams, a few short screws and 70M ropes.  At the top we burrowed through the snow covered trees 400-500 feet north-northeast to the top of Omega where our threads from last week were waiting for us and we rappelled Omega just before dark.

It was just another addition to the long list of first ascents Andy has done on Cannon; but, it was my very first first ascent on Cannon!  It's destined to be a traditional mixed climbing classic!!!!

All photos copyright Andy Tuthill (and he came up with the clever name too!).  Thanks Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Enjoy,
will
Al Hospers

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
Re: Mean Streak (450', WI 6, M7) Cannon Cliff, Franconia Notch, NH
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »
good work guys
Jon Howard

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:58:03 AM »
Bristolpipe asks you to stop climbing heinously hard FAs on daunting and dangerous cliffs until your skill level improves a bit.  I don't think he'd climb with you, either.

Of course, I could be wrong  ;D.  What a beautiful line.  Congrats.
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:38:03 PM »
brilliant!