NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitney-Gilman register !!!  (Read 122 times)

SCUD

• NEClimbs Full Member
Whitney-Gilman register !!!
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:34:05 AM »

I was up by the W-G ridge the other day & got to thinking about the big glass jar. Does anyone know what happened to the register? I would give almost anything to be able to read those entries today. I don't know if the ole register is still in existence, but it sure would be nice if the register could be placed online or made available for public viewing somewhere.
"Going to the mountains is going home." -John Muir

SCUD

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Whitney-Gilman register !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:19:42 PM »

Lest some of our younger climbers get the misimpression there has recently been a climbing register atop the W/G Ridge, let me add to my prior post that the register disappeared around the early 1970's, hence its historical value. Who among all you NE Climbs forum readers has signed the register?

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 07:49:33 AM »

I signed it several times.  It originally lived in a big glass jar.  Eventually ended up in a plastic bottle in the mid 70's.  For a while it was rumored that Ed W. had it but I have no idea if that is so.

cgill

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:46:12 AM »

It would also be great to have "The Pipe".

It would be nice if someone could take a picture of Cannon and show it side by side with a picture taken 30 or 40 years ago.

SCUD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »

OldEric- I know Ed Webster quite well & will ask him if he has any knowledge of the whereabouts of the W/G register.
---
cgill - Yes it sure would be great to have the pipe as well. There may still be time to locate such items before they are lost for good. Perhaps they could be left in some sort of repository where they could be viewed by everyone. I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate seeing how NH climbing has evolved. While we're at it, we could add many other items like a photo of the White Horse, the Recompense "wood wedge", the Cathedral coffee can registers, old climbing photographs, etc..

drown

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Alpine Mapping Guild
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »

There is a metal can ( not sure if there is a register in it I didnt check) on top of The Eaglet...

mg

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:04:51 PM »

Since we're asking "old farts" to speak up, I have to confess to having signed the WG register when it was still in a glass jar, and to remembering a coffee can on Cathedral Standard (circa 1969). Jeff Lea
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.