NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Debolting  (Read 1314 times)

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
Re: Debolting
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2005, 06:42:47 AM »

I've been trying to stay out of this for a few days BUT...

I do think this is an important discussion, and I know it is not helped by all of the posturing and chest-thumping.  I'm glad to see that some folks, on both sides, can have a reasonable discussion...

And I agree with Punx that the discussion keeps getting off-point.  This is not about convenience, since the anchors being discussed would be placed where a convenient rap station already exists (the tree).  It is not about LCD, since it takes no more competence to rap off a tree than off bolts.  This is also not about reducing vs increasing traffic, since Toe Crack can already be rapped from the tree...

This is about reducing our impact on the cliff.  And if you think people will do the right thing on their own, think again.  Just last week I saw a senior guide with two clients rapping from one of the small trees inside the Standard Chimney after doing Toe Crack, while at the same time two boneheads rapped off the miserable hemlock above Onion Head after doing Thin Air.  Freddie, I'd love to agree with you...I just don't think that folks are that thoughtful and responsible.

And...that keg thing just won't go away, will it... ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:44:06 AM by jeffc »
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »

Could someone please show me this time machine that Punx has been utilizing?  I'm having some major deja vu.

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2005, 11:43:38 AM »

I think it's the same one that Napoleon Dynamite and Uncle Ricco used...
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »

I've been reading and listening to this shit for 25 years at least. It hasn't changed at all except for the players. Yadda Yadda blah blah blah.
 The best part about bolting is Rumney! I swear Cathedral is less crowed now than it was 20 years ago because Rumney acts as a great seive!! If you like your climbing sterile go to Rumney!
work hard, play harder

steven cooney

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2005, 04:39:35 PM »

you guys need to get together for a pint of Maju.  You guys are spending too much time on line.  Go for the Maju.  It's Maju time you guys.

johnny_bolts

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • messagebourd till your tips fall off!
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2005, 02:51:25 PM »

Nice post Freddie!  You need to get a clue though. Share our beer in the parking lot? No fu#&*ing Way!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »

A quick question...

Is there a governing body that oversees issues such as this (bolting, debolting, anchor replacement, pins, etc..), and if not, why not?

It seems these issues pop up everywhere when there are two strong opinions on either side of these issues (all with good points), but things seem to get heated when one group of people or one person takes it upon themselves to act on behalf of their own personal ethic. All too often we find ourselves slinging insults and sometimes swinging fists over our beliefs and there just never seems to be much agreement in the end.

It would seem to me that perhaps an elected body that represents both sides of the issues could develop some kind of standard for local climbing areas and could be policed accordingly. If the guidelines were clear and published, perhaps we could avoid a majority of these missunderstandings and we could all focus on what it is that first brought us to this sport, come together as a climbing community and put these issues to rest.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.