NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Granite Heaven  (Read 106 times)

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Granite Heaven
« on: July 25, 2003, 09:58:30 AM »

I've just returned from an 8 day visit to Squamish, BC (that's in Canada,between Vancouver and Whistler for the geographically challenged)--I spent a day there last August and was lucky enough to be able to return this year. The rock is identical to N. Conway granite, the weather was clear and dry ( no or low humidity) there were NO bugs and the trad cracks ate up pro. Add gobsmacking scenery, more than 1200 routes on 10 times as much rock as Cathedral and Whitehorse combined, including the StawamusChief which has trad and aid routes 1800' long, a superb brew pub, comfortable camping at several levels of facilities and expense, the Canadian $ exchange, access to crags as easy as Cathedral, all coupled with the possibility of alpine climbs nearby, glacier skiing at Whistler, kyacking, windsurfing, white water rafting, hiking and the best mt bike trails on the continent and you have the outdoor enthusiast's heaven. My "10 best climbs list" now contains at least 4 of the climbs we did last week and that's after a climbing career which covers 3 continents and more than 3 decades.    ;D ::) :P However if you are offended by bolts you should know before you go that on many of the heavily traveled routes the locals have chosen to protect the trees at the top by placing large Metolius lower off bolts. All the same the rock lends itself to being a trad climbers paradise at all levels from about 5.4 to 5.12. Yes, there are also hard sport routes developed to the mid 5.13 level within easy drives from the camping areas, if that's your thing. A 5.9 or occasional 5.10 leader (weekend warrior like me) will find a lifetime of challenges on fabulous rock. Does this suggest "road trip" to anyone else?  Still ravin'--Jeff Lea

J Conway

Re: Granite Heaven
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 12:50:17 PM »

Well jeff you pretty much summed it up, but you forgot canadian women in your description. I also feel the need to make you a touch jealous. I am here for 2-3 months!

Jay

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Granite Heaven
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 08:22:48 PM »

Jay: 2-3 months?? "you hoser"! As for Canadian women, they may be fine but my loving wife of 30 years would definitely not approve my sampling the smorgasbord, so I'll stick to climbing and drinking good ale in Squamish . Have fun--I am jealous. Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.