Author Topic: Mt. Washington accident  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Mt. Washington accident
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:16:03 pm »
A climber was killed in an avalanche on Friday morning while soloing Odell's Gully on Mt. Washington. Apparently he went into the ravine in a period of High avalanche danger. He was reported as overdue by a friend at 8 PM Friday night and was found this morning (Saturday) by members of the Forest Service.

--al
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:43:22 pm by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline barryj

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Mt. Washington accident
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »
 ??? Maybe I should be more sensitive, but It just amazes me how someone with enough experience to solo Odells (so not a beginner)  would not be aware of the loading possibilities Fri. after the fresh snow on Thurs.....or at least heed the "HIGH"  slats on the Avy board.

Sadly, bad things do happen to good people.

My condolences to his family.

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:13:35 am »
Al, too soon for any report from US Forest Service; any further information?

(And, thanks to the USFS rangers and MRS for doing what has to be the hardest part of their job.)
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:49:56 am »
These guys were more fortunate!

http://www.tuckerman.org/accident/20072008.htm

I hadn't heard about any accidents up there in December, but it makes perfect sense with the snow that we received. After that tremendous thaw that we got, combined with the new snow it makes for a perfect avalanche situation.

My thoughts and condolences to the friends and family of the lost climber.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:54:23 am by old_school »
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:19:57 am »
Al, too soon for any report from US Forest Service; any further information?

no more info from me. not my place... the following was posted on tuckerman.org on Sunday AM:

"We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to the family and friends of a fellow mountaineer who was killed in an avalanche in Huntington Ravine on Friday. The objective dangers in the winter mountains are many, which are contrasted by their extraordinary beauty, and the rejuvenation and peacefulness they can bring us. These factors together create the challenges that give us the intense fulfillment as human beings and keep us coming back time and time again. We must be ever on the lookout for all the hazards we face while pursuing our mountain passions. The mountains will be here another day. We will post an accident summary on tuckerman.org later today or tomorrow."

--al
Al Hospers

Offline Romofo

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:14:45 pm »
The person who died was a friend of mine. We climbed our first real big ice climb together; Odell's Gully, March 27th 1993. It was a blue bird day, and we were so psyched of our climb. The fact that this was also his last climb is hard to grasp. He was a great athelete, super talented at whatever he did. We accomplished the 4000 footers in under a year. Most of them, in the winter, full blown conditions. Once we found the vertical world, that was a whole other fun adventure. Rock, ice, bivy on Cannon, we were out there, all the time. He was the best, most solid climbing partner I had. Why he went up there in the conditons that were posted will be a question in my mind forever. He knew better damnit. I am going to miss you. Thanks for the memories old friend, and may your soul rest in the mountains where you lived.
Ro

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:59:41 pm »
Motivation and drive are odd and often unfathomable things; even our closest tie-in partners and spouses can't understand them completely, I think.

Ro, thanks for sharing the importance of this climber in your life.  Bluebird days and milestones shared make things a wee bit easier.  I'm very sorry for your loss and that of his family.

Dale

If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 02:00:47 pm »

Offline peet

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:57:30 pm »
Most tragic.  Please be safe out there.

Offline sparky

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Steve Jacques
    • The Adventures of Sparky
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:29 am »
The pain from this sad unfortunate event is just awful.  Having to report a friend over due is something I would never have imagined doing.  I feel so fortunate to have shared many of the experiences that Ro describes with him and Peter.  We trained together in the mountains where Pete's soul remains.  I was there waiting for them on the summit the day they completed their first climb of O'dell's.  It was an amazing day, windless, warm, and a great day in the mountains with my best friends. I was there the day they completed their 4000 footers on the summit of Mt. Carrigan.  Beers in hand, they celebrated in style.  Pete was one of the most generous people I know, he gave gifts and lessons in life to me that I will cherish forever.

The US forest service snow rangers were so professional in organizing this search effort.  The climbers on MRS teams who set out to find my friend and brother are people who we were inspired by as we developed our skills in the mountains and on the cliffs and ice flows they climbed first.  He was in the best possible hands as his physical body was taken down off the mountain.   It was just horrible seeing their faces on Saturday as they completed this grisly task.
I wish to express sincere thanks for their efforts as well as the efforts from everyone involved in this rescue and recovery.  Why Pete continued above the Harvard cabin is something I will struggle with for a long time to come especially after having lengthy discussion Thursday night about his intentions and the conditions.   Perhaps it was a sense of his time had come and he finished where he began....This unknown is difficult.  I only pray he suffered minimal pain in his final moments.

Til we meet again...

Offline cbcbd

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:01:17 am »
A very sad loss, my thoughts are with his family and all the ones who knew him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:41:42 pm by cbcbd »

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12:20 am »
Why should good people continue to pay for the poor choices of the few? 

Answer: "Because they care"?!!?.

Mountain Rescue is "Volunteer" based organization of dedicated individuals who chose to do what they do. We all understand that we make mistakes, lapses in judgement, or just victims of circumstance. I have been on a couple of rescues, and am amazed at the dedication, knowledge and expertise of these people who put their own lives on the line for others. I, for one, am glad that such people exist and hope that I never have to use their services, but I think we can all rest a little easier knowing that their is a core group of folks out there willing to do what it takes to try to help those of us who fall in harms way.

The climber made a poor decision...yes; doubtful you will get an argument on that. Having said that though, how many of us have been there and chosen to move or push ourselves beyond what others might consider safe? We are climbers and mountaineers...not chess masters. With Adventure comes risk, and despite the questionable decision, neither he nor others that have gone before him or will follow him in the future "Deserve" that outcome! I am shocked that anyone would offer up such a cold and callous remark.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline acatta

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 02:37:19 pm »
Well said cbcbd, old_school & Jim.. I was appalled when I read Bristolpipe's post.
"steal your face right off your head"

bristolpipe

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:13:22 pm »
Well said cbcbd, old_school & Jim.. I was appalled when I read Bristolpipe's post.

It may have been insensitive at first impression, but I received a couple of PMs thanking me for my honesty.

I pulled the post because Jim asked me to.  My feelings persist, however.

Offline acatta

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 05:27:33 pm »
Bristolpipe,

Yes being honest and speaking one's mine is not my issue except when this site has the victims friends posting, expressing their sorrow. Then perhaps it would be best to hold back. You are welcome to your feelings on this.. Believe me I have mine. But they are mine I will keep them, for they will accomplish nothing..The End.

To Romofo & Sparky I'm sorry for your loss..

Regards;
Alan Cattabriga
"steal your face right off your head"