Author Topic: New Cobra ice tool  (Read 712 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
New Cobra ice tool
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:36:01 PM »
A new Cobra ice tool (adze) arrived 5 minutes ago and man it's a beauty. This baby is more than just an ice tool, it's a work of art. It actually reminds me of a really high quality carbon fiber bicycle. The shape is really beautiful. They should submit it to one of those groups that does industrial design awards. It's that sweet.

A couple of quick observations... The handle is a lot smaller than the old Cobra. Really similar to the old Charlet The curve in the shaft is a lot different than my original Cobras (lots more curve) and it's even more curved than my prototype Viper. Very nice. It's also just a smidgen longer than my Viper or Cobra. It seems to have a very nice swing, even tho it's lighter than the other tools. I'll probably try it paired with the Cobra at first, just for the obvious comparison then try it with the old Viper and then with a new one.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out for an hour or so to play with it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this. <grin> More later...

--al
Al Hospers

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
Re: New Cobra ice tool
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 07:12:24 PM »
ooooooooooooo, tool envy.  Post up on the performance, I'm thinking about making the charlet to BD transition.  I just didn't know which ones. But I hadn't seen those.  Good for you for treating yourself!
Jon Howard

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
I've got about a dozen or so pitches in on mine so far. After 5 seasons on the Quarks I was very hesitant to switch. They are light, and perfectly balanced, but I am having some issues adjusting my swing to get as many "1st sticks" as I would get with my Quarks. Just not used to them yet I suppose. The little "upper grip" is nice for choking up on a placement, but can hit the ice a bit awkwardly when clearing certain size bulges. They are really comfortable while caining, or climbing in that "high choke" position since the cobra shape fits the hand better. I'm going to give them the full season, but you might find me willing to trade em' for a new set of Quarks come March!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
I've used the new Vipers quite a bit and never noticed the issue with the upper grip.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »
Dman, that was my worry that I was 'to used to' a heavier axe, and making the transition to a much lighter tool was gonna set the learning curve even further than it is. 
Jon Howard

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
I've got about a dozen or so pitches in on mine so far.

I thought that you were using the Quarks last Saturday on Standard.  ::)

--al
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
went down to the North End and climbed with the new Cobra today. soloed the slab, then Thresher and then the furthest right and furthest left lines at the pillars. the ice was a mix of very brittle and very plastic, with nothing in between. I thought that the tool climbed very well. I paired it with my old Viper prototype. they swing very differently. the Viper is a shoulder swing tool, for me, whereas the new Cobra is a flick tool. I was expecting it to swing more like the old Cobra, but it's actually a bit more like the Ergo in that a little flick of the wrist is all that I needed even on the steepest ice. I never felt as if it was going to come out and never banged my knuckles, as I used to do with the old Cobras on bulges.

all in all I am pleased so far. I'm looking forward to using them in a long steep situation soon.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »
Dammit, I need a job with pro-deal or demo connections  >:(.
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
so I've climbed Standard, Cinema, Upper Hitchcock, lots at the North End and Pegasus with the new Cobra. Pegsaus was the best test of the tool so far as the final 35' piliar was dead on vertical and had a mix of brittle, plastic and hooking. I thought that the tool performed very well. the fact that it's fairly light was a good thing when it came to climbing something very steep like that. I am basically able to do everything I want to do. I'm getting used to the slightly different swing so the single stick swings are coming far more often. I just got a second one in the mail last night so it will be great to use a matched set. next test - Dracula or Unicorn...

the only negative I have right now is that they come with the Laser picks. I have found that these don't last very long in normal use. I much prefer the T picks. they hold up a lot better & don't bend & blunt with the slightest touch of rock. this isn't specific to the Cobra, but just to the BD picks.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »
climbed Black Pudding with Brad White (IMCS owner) on Monday using the new Cobras, finally have a matched pair. Brad also had the same setup. the impression is that they are a very impressive steep ice tool. they are quite light, but swing very well. I was able to hook my way up the overhanging chandeliered ice at the start of the column with confidence. then once into the steep stuff the tools swung very well into the smoother ice. tho the column was dripping on the right side, overall the ice wasn't as plastic as I would have thought until about 2/3 of the way up, so I really did have to swing. in ice like this the Laser pick is fine. it's just in anything with the possibility of hitting rock that I prefer the Titan ones. at the top where is flattens out into the snow I was able to plunge and cane in a manner very similar to the original Cobras. nice...

full review coming soon. I'd welcome comments from anyone who has a set of these and has used them in a variety of situations.

--al
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
Just got back from climbing on Katahdin with these. Used them on Mini Pinnacle #2 an #3 and Pamola's Fury (3+ long alpine gully with fun mixed finish).

I am sold on em' now, after previous doubts I have adjusted my swing and they rock on plastic ice, brittle ice, and rock.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
full review on the site now...

--al
Al Hospers

funtime

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
saw ice tools are on sale now at several places

you all prefer cobra's vs viper's?

there is a $56 price difference at ems right now. You think cobra's are worth the extra $56 for steep ice, leashless?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
I like them both but if I had the extra $ I would get the Cobras. Vipers are a great tool tho.

--al
Al Hospers