Author Topic: Ragged Mtn gone to hell...?  (Read 457 times)

Offline rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
Ragged Mtn gone to hell...?
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
I try not to use the web to bitch about stuff...but here goes anyway.  For those who have been regular shoppers at Ragged Mtn Equipment in Conway NH...have you noticed it just aint was it use to be?  Lots of new staff, and management doesnt seem so friendly.  I bought a new pair of expensive BD gaiters and the boot strap cut in two just 1 hour into a standard bushwack.  Brought them back and couldnt get a replacement pair.  They shipped them back to BD, which was nice, but now I am wandering through snow for a few weekends with no friggin gaiters.  The staff seemed nice enough, but Mgt gave me a stone face, party line, and no new gaiters. 

Studies have shown it costs 7 times more $ for a store to find a new customer, compaired to keeping an existing one.  Ragged Mtn needs to bring 7 new people in the door, as I think they just lost one. 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Ragged Mtn gone to hell...?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
OUCH...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
I remember from my days in restarunte management reading an article about how an average of 300 people will hear about a customers bad experience in your establishment VS  about 20 people will hear about a positive experience in that same restarunt.  I guess we are more vocal about our bad experiences?? possibly we just expect to have a good experience and don't mention it unless the establishment goes absolutly overboard for us yet we are quick to vocalize when we feel that we have been wronged?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »
tradman - that's true & actually probably even worse than that in this Day Of The Internet!

altho I rarely go in there any more (it's kind of out of my way and I am in IME a lot more often for obvious reasons) I have generally had good experiences at Ragged over the years. I'm a bit surprised. they are smart people & they do care about their customers, at least the upper level people do. of course an experience with a single bad sales person, waiter, waitress or whatever can have a very bad impact on business.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »
Had a similar experience back in 97 I think. At the ice festival, bought a Sterling Dry Rope.
That thing swelled to about 14 mm and froze solid. Took it back to IME, nothing. Sterling would't even return a call. I hear things have changed, bottom line, customer lost for both.
Ed

Offline ac

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
My experience with Ragged Mountain has always been and continues to be very positive.   Just last weekend I was just browsing the gaiters and a staffer came by and, without hovering, made the recommendation to bring in the boots to try the fit, since gaiter sizing is all over the place.   While that comment wasn't exactly a revelation, I find that level of interaction about right for customer service.  Plus, they carry a wider variety of product lines than a certain store that shall go unnamed, and I always seem to find great deals there.  I recently picked up a Quark Ergo in excellent condition for $100 from their consignment area.   Many thanks to the former owner!  ;D

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
Working in customer service for a large outdoor retailer in one capacity or another for the last 13 years has given me some perspective on this. It can be very difficult sometimes to distinguish between the legit gear breakdown and the person who thinks one pair of light-weight hiking boots should last 3000+ miles (or construction work). Many retailers are getting away from any "life-time" guarentees as gear will simply wear out, and abuse of return policies can cost millions a year. That being said, it sounds like you had a legit defective pair of gaiters and you should have been taken care of. Funny this comes up today, I stopped in there today to try and find a USGS map of Katahdin (IME, EMS, and Ragged, no luck). Sales person was helpful and friendly.

Offline rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:09 PM »
I think what it comes down to is, the front line staff there has changed over the years but continues to be good...and accomodating...but one of the managers is not mr customer service.

To respond to a previous post Re nobody talks about good experiences in retail or restaurants, that is certainly true.  So I thought i would share one.  I am having bad luck with gaiters lately.  My old OR gaiters where shredded, due to my lousy footwork obviously, so i went to IME and EMS to buy new ones just two weeks ago.  Could only get my size in EMS gaiters.  After one day I brought them back.  They just sucked.  couldnt keep them from sliding down my leg, and the design was bad and the velcro kept openning up from the bottom.  You need snap down there on the bottom of the velcro if its a side closure.  Brought them back the next day and the EMS staf - and Mgt - were perfect.  Got my $ back on the spot.  One of the EMS staff even confided in me that ems tries to do too many things and some things they dont do that well.  So thats how I ended up at Ragged.  They had plenty of gaiters in stock, but the BD ones failed in no time.  I shoulda stuck with the old reliable OR I guess...

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:25:43 AM »
I am from Mass, and think that Ragged is now the best shop in New England. EMS is almost all clothing, and tends to cater to the tourists looking for lightweight fleeces, IME has gone over to Mammut, and their consignment model, but Ragged has not changed much over the 6 years I have been shopping there.

We have all had bad experiences with people in retail, but I try to remember my days in retail and give them a break - it is a crappy job, and I am glad I am not doing it.

It is really sad to me that it is so difficult to find what I need in brick and mortar shops. I still shop in person, but most of the gear I actually buy now is from the web since shops seem to carry less and less of what I need/ want. We need to support places like Ragged, or else ALL of our shopping will soon be from the web.

My $0.02

-Rob

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:25 AM »
I have been using Ragged for 20+ years now and have had quite good experiences for the most part.  I have owned a lot of their fleece poducts and they seem just as good as the better known higher price brands.  But human nature being what has been pointed out I will whine about an experience I had there last spring - April I think.

I wanted a rope bag.  Wasn't particular.  I was anticipating getting a Metolious or Black Diamond but anything would have done.  I couldn't find any so asked.  Well not just one but several of the staff had no idea what I was talking about.  After I described it they decided I meant a stuff sack.  I just thought that was odd.  I could have understood if the response had been along the line of "Those are for sport weenies, we just carry gear for real climbers" - but they genuinely did not know what one was.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »
there is likely a bad story someone can relate about every retailer, everywhere. all it takes is one employee who doesn't know what they are doing or in a bad mood and the next thing you know it spreads like wildfire. pre-interenet people would talk about their experiences over a beer at the local watering hole, but usually that was as far as it went. but the net and forums like this makes it even worse 'cause it just perpetuates itself and it stays around forever. I guarantee you that in a short while you can Google Ragged Mountain Equipment and this thread will pop up!

sad but true...

--al
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:23:39 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline cbcbd

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »
Retailers more and more, especially small like RM, have to watch themselves with returns. In your case this was a combination of bad BD quality and bad RM customer service. Working at EMS, I hate returning things to the retailer unless I feel it's an unusual case like yours - sometimes it's just bad quality and the retailer has to eat it, which I understand and that customer is easy to pick out from the ones trying to get a free lunch. But it's not as simple as that since a lot of times you'll see people abusing return policies, and this costs small retailers lots of money.

Every shop has it's idiots. I totally agree with benlewis on this one. The outdoor industry has some fickle and quirky people working for it. There are some great people working out there and there are some real jerks. If the jerk is a manager, then it's real unfortunate and can easily drive customers and good employees away and turn a good store to complete crap. I hope this new guy doesn't have a lasting affect.

Offline cwm

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »
Last week I was up looking for a climb I have been trying to get to for some time. I realized I had not packed my hat so I stopped at the Summit shop in Lincoln to pick one up. The store did not open for another 20 minutes but the associate saw me and welcomed me in. Got my hat and remembered I had special ordered some M10 front points from EMS about 3 weeks ago and I have had no call back. I asked if by the way did he carry the points and he did, I also got some beta on finding the climb (Drool of the Beast). Another thumbs up for the smaller retailer.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
I also got some beta on finding the climb (Drool of the Beast).

and so the REAL question is - Was it IN?  ???
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
There is something you can do that is a bit more productive than bashing a company online. If you have had a negative experience with any business, write a letter or send an email to their customer service or general email address. I feel companies that really care about customer service will look for a way to remedy the situation. If you never hear back... well, that tell's you something. Resend the letter 2 weeks later just in case, but then if I didn't hear back I would move on.

CWM, As for special orders with EMS, we are looking for ways to make this go quicker and smoother. Many vendors are not as quick as we like in sending out our requests, so I advise people that a special order takes 2-4 weeks. Unfortuneatly many employees are more optimistic than I am, so someone probably told you it would take less. If you placed the order with a store give them a call and ask what the deal is, or shoot an email to customerservice@ems.com.

And, how was Drool of the Beast? I climbed it back in 2004 and it was t  h  i  n !