Author Topic: NH considering a change laws to recover costs of mtn rescues  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Robbovius

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: NH considering a change laws to recover costs of mtn rescues
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »
and definitely not those who have been seduced by the idea of ice climbing and have ordered crampons and axes without even buying boots.

Just so everybody knows, in this reference, Bristolpipe/lionel/piton reveals that he has been stalking me, again, over on the rockclimbing.com MASS CLIMBERS thread  ;)

bristolpipe

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:37 pm »
Just so everybody knows, in this reference, Bristolpipe/lionel/piton reveals that he has been stalking me, again, over on the rockclimbing.com MASS CLIMBERS thread  ;)

You really need psychiatric help, dude!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 04:20:49 pm »
for the gods sake, the TWO of you, cut it out and/or take it somewhere else...

maybe back to RC.com...

--al
Al Hospers

Offline JimC

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »
It's an interesting dilemma in NH. One thing not mentioned anywhere in the discussion is that NH Fish and Game and NH Division of Parks and Recreation, to of the providers of these emergency services (I don't want to leave out the many many volunteers of the mountain rescue groups), are in serious financial jeopardy. Both groups currently exist as self funded state agencies.They get by on fees and licenses alone; no support from the NH general fund whatsoever.

So when they go in to help pull somebody off a trail someplace its currently being paid for by fishing licenses, campground fees and the parking meters at Hampton Beach. Sorry but that equation doesn't add up. Something has got to give and the voices in Concord are already pushing for revised financial models to support these agencies.

Can't say I like where any of this is going. Could be that someday we'll be buying "Rescue Insurance" to take a walk in the woods.

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
Do you honestly think your website is more appropous than anything RC.Com offers?

I couldn't find "appropous" on dictionary.com... help me out here so I can refute.

funtime

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:24 pm »
I am sure NH MSR does not mind footing the bill and danger to rescue lost hikers (or climbers) who set-off in a snow storm.

i would pay $50/year or so in insurance to offset the cost of S&R. It would be optional, if you don't have the insurance you pay the bill, or find a way out on your own.

It would apply to all people participating in winter sports.

Cell phones and GPS have overrode commonsense and experience.

Offline Robbovius

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:32:49 am »
You really need psychiatric help, dude!

dude! lighten up, it's just a funny coincidence, is all. why so serious? ;)

funtime, pertinent to the discussion is that some locations, like crawford notch have zero cel reception. get hurt and relyon your cel for help you're in some real trouble.

if it came to it, a $50 seasonal MSR insurance fee wouldn't be a bad thing. 

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs God
  • climb on
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:55 am »
It is rediculous that the goverment and public agencies are even involved in this.  In other (more civilized?) parts of the worls where mountain based recreational activities are not seen as fringe activities pursued by wackos (Richard was correct - the Globes article and others of that ilk typically portray us that way) S&R is typically commercialized.  Besides getting out of the rat hole of whether this should be provided as a public service there is the additional benefit that the personel are professional and typically much more competent then the volunteer based or government based groups providing S&R.  N Conway is fortunate to have the MRS - most areas don't have that level of folks available.  All rescues are charged for (because guess what?  The cost and risk involved in a rescue involving the most experienced climber imaginabale who did everything right and just had bad luck vs. rescueing the drunk frat kid lost in the woods - is about the same.  Accidents happen - it's life) and most regular participants have insurance - typically through a club.  Cut and dry.  Efficient.  None of this hand wringing and drama.

Offline abc

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 04:28:08 pm »
Not too long ago there was a hearing about whether to start allowing white water kayaking on a certain river. Present at the meeting was the local ambulance crew, who you would cynically think was there to protest the possibility of having to haul people out of the river. Actually, they were whole-heartedly behind the idea of allowing free access to public recreation because the few fit people they have to rescue are nothing compared to the multitude of twinkie-eating out of shape heart attack victims that they have to cart around. Different groups of people are responsible and irresponsible in different ways.  Nobody ever plans on giving up or giving out. Hopefully we can self police our own, as was already mentioned, having the government decide we were negligent because we didn,t have a 600 dollar tent or a number 5 camalot would be a bad thing. I for one enjoy my right to be a sensible minimalist.