NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silencing Hexes  (Read 121 times)

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Silencing Hexes
« on: August 05, 2003, 09:13:34 AM »

Anyone got any tricks for making those bigger sized hexes less noisy?  I have the three largest ones tied off with a triple fisherman,s knot in spectra chord.  I like the weight, versatility, and low cost of them if I need to leave them.  I never use them though because they annoy the crap out of me and those around me when they are cluncking and clanging on the rack.  Are there any racking suggestions or damping devices out there to silence these babies??? ???

T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Silencing Hexes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:32:08 AM »

Silence the hexes --  Why would you want to do that??  Nothing broadcasts your old school trad cred than the jingle jangle of a rack full of hexes.  Sport climbers don't even know what hexes are ;)

Troy
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:30:15 AM »

I silence my hexes by clipping them all to one 'biner and leaving them in my pack at the base of the climb.  That way they don't make any noise, and when you find that perfect hex placement all you have to do is mutter four letter words for being an idiot and leaving them on the ground.  It seems to work like a charm.  :) I have also heard of an alternate method in which you go to a gear store and buy lots of big ass cams.  Seriously, the #4 rigid stemmed friend is pretty nice and really cheap for a big piece.  In cracks of that size I find that the rigid stem isn't a limitation.  I guess the best way is to just live with the old cow bells.  At least its hard to get lost in the woods because everyone can hear you for 5 miles.  

Andy

oldster

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 12:08:05 PM »

They make great pencil holders, also wind chimes, and building blocks for the kids. An excellent use for them is to go climb Karens Variation on Cathedral: the cracks are lined with moss and mud so the heses don't make any noise when you place them. A nice bonus is the jams are padded and very comfortable on the hands. This may be a good intro to crack climbing for the adventurous sport climber.

hollywood sucks

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 05:01:08 PM »

I heard that during the making of the Vertical Limit they sprayed some kind of plastic coating on the hexes so they wouldn't clank together! ::)

In all seriousness I usually leave mine behind for the same reason.  That being said, if you pull about half of the sling through to the top of the hex and then clip the two loops (above and below the hex) together then they can't swing quite as far.  I find that they are much quieter this way.  (I have the newer WC "hexes" w/sewn spectra slings, which are quite long.  If you already have shorter slings on your hexes this might not help...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.