Author Topic: Classic tools  (Read 1119 times)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Classic tools
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »
Dman mentioned in an earlier thread that he thought the classic pick style would slow him down on typical grade 3 climbing. Standard Rt, Pinnacle, etc. Well I thought maby when he said it he Is just too young to have owned a classic tool ;) I took this baby down off the wall and gave her a spin up Scottish gully this afternoon sans rope. What a fun tool ;D  I bought her arround halloween 1984. My very first ice tool that I actually owned. 60cm Chiounard. Pictured here on the final headwall 110ft off the deck. Note how little fracturing. This thing swings so true that I get one swing sticks allmost every time. Increadible reach to get up over the fracture line on bulges and you can really cover some ground with those long swings. It is a tad heavy on steep sections and it's not fitted for Android leashes. With the long handle and long pick I rarely hit a knuckle with this tool. just a dream to climb with 8) 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:50:05 PM by tradmanclimbz »

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Classic tools
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
The not so matched set. They are both great tools but the old one gets way more one swing sticks. new one has a much nicer grip and a much nicer leash system.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »
really great for caneing and they plunge well.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »
Tradman, Those were the days. The old Chouinard 0 X and North wall X. Climbed the Dike last year with them just for grins and giggles. Still like my modern tools way better. If someone would like to buy them they can have them for cheap and I even have 8 or 10 spare picks. For those who never had the pleasure of owning a pair the locking mechanism for the old pics was different and they were much thicker. Dave

Offline cbcbd

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
so ya thinking of slapping a pinky rest on that thing?  ;)

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
Also saw a guy this past Sunday climbing with the old Chouinard alluminum screws. Remember the ratchet they made for screwing them in. Use the ratchet 1 way to put them in, flip it over to take them out. No turning them in by hand! Don't miss them. ;D Dave

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »
seriously this thing swings and sticks better than my Vipers and Grivel machines. Its heavy though and not as easy to hold onto. I will say its a lot easier to hold onto with gloves than it was with woolen mittens ;)

Offline barryj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »

Well it's not a classic pick style, (and I'm old enough to know classic as I was the original owner of a wooden handeled Chiounard piolet I sold to Rick Wilcox for his collection) but this Stubia is a classic to me.  It dates back to the late 80's and it's still a tool I throw in the mix for clients to use.  Super light and sticks like a dagger....of course with that worn down, super short pick it ought to!

I still love to use it and would replace the pick if I could find one out there...the Stubia Rep just laughed when I asked....as if they still had 20 year old picks laying around the warehouse! 

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
Try the keene valley Mountainer?...

Offline barryj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Nick,
sent ya a PM.

BJ

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »
Post em up folks. More pictures of your old tools. lets see what your favorite oldie looks like 8)

Offline piolet

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
Anyone reading this from Harvard Mtn Club?

How about taking a pic of one of those carpenters hammers with the pics attached?  ;D

Offline randy j goat

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »
Anyone reading this from Harvard Mtn Club?

How about taking a pic of one of those carpenters hammers with the pics attached?  ;D

This sounds like an old Lowe Humming Bird I have. Tube pick and no botttom spike. I loved it  when it was all I had. Got a set of them  with extra picks for 80.00 years ago. I still have one of them.

A buddy of mine did use a real framing hammer for a while with a tube pick welded to it. Thing was pretty freaking funny. The thing finally broke while in NH[ think it was on Ice Mean Don't Eat Quiche] . The guys at Ragged Mt. had a good laugh at it when he went in and bought his first "REAL" tool.

Trad, my first set of tools were the same chouinard  you have and the  matching hammer. I still have the hammer,but have not used it for years.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
My first set was the 60cm ax that is  pictured above  which I had to use in my weak left hand and a 43cm Humming bird hammer in the right for pounding in screws. Fairly miss matched. I eventualy graduated to a Simond Chackal and the hummingbird. I hated the tube pick and only used it once. The skinny standard pick on the Hummingbird was quite good.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »
my first set of tools were a pair of Chackals (Sp?) that my friend Bob loaned to me. the picks were  very filed down & I was always banging my knuckles, but they were great nonetheless. I climbed every road & RR cut around Boston with those as well as Standard & Chia at Frankenstein. after two seasons I "graduated" to a set of second-hand Pulsars. they were twice as heavy & I still killed my knuckles.  ::)

--al
Al Hospers