NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Routes  (Read 911 times)

Paul

• NEClimbs Newbie
New Routes
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »

A couple of years ago Mike Pelchat and I visited this band of ice on the side of Mt. Hayes , across the Androscoggin River just out side of Gorham. It is about 70 ft. tall and about 100ft. wide. It is in the sun , out of the wind, easily topped or lead , and it is usually in. What more could an ice climber want? This year Sara Reder and myself went back and did a grade 4 line of about 80 ft. about a 20 min. walk down and right of this major flow. What you do is drive to Gorham, and take a right on Rt. 2. drive about a mile to the Town and Country motel. Look across the golf course and there it is. Drive another 3 miles to the north road, and take a left onto it. Go 3/4 mile and take a left onto the Hogan road and drive back toward Gorham, until you junction with the Skidoo path. It's about 10 mins. up hill from there. A Great day and a short aproach.
Paul H.Cormier

DLottmann

Re: New Routes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:32 AM »

Nice Paul, there is a "New Ice Route" forum if you want to post this there. Any pics? Did you guys name it?

bristolpipe

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »

I am a bit curious how something so obvious and with such a short approach can be listed as a new route in 2008?

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »

To be safe I guess you could claim a FRA. Nonetheless, thanks for advertising another place to spread out the masses.

Damn, I looked at that stuff for years driving between VT and ME on 2. Guess I should have taken an afternoon and hopped on some.

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »

I am a bit curious how something so obvious and with such a short approach can be listed as a new route in 2008?

I just assume every route to be a FRA... then there is no issue...

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »

I believe this ice might be Reflection Crag in the :"Beyond the Notches section" in the latest NE Ice Climbers guide,sure sounds like similar approach description and whenever I stayed at Town and Country for ski/climbing trips, eating breakfast looking out the huge window you can see it , I've always said to the wife, "gotta get over there and check that ice out", sounds nice and great for a local, i's be there all the time midweek after work 

Paul

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

It is not reflection crag. Drive or walk further toward Gorham on the Hogan road until it makes a hard right hand turn and heads up Mt. Hayes. It is truely across from the Golf course. To my knowledge, none of these lines have ever been climbed.
Paul

meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »

Nice, thanks for the heads up. 
Jon Howard

Buzzsaw

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »

Hey Paul, Nice to see you on the web brother. Lets get out and and climb something soon. Nice picture of you on the pillar beside Ace of Spades you old fart. I'll call soon, Syko

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »

Hey Paul, been awhile since this thread, I agree, not reflection crag, was trying to piece it together, and not in guide, prob not previously climbed, lotta ice dotted around up there in that whole maine/nh border

Buzzsaw(Jon),anyone?: ever checked out mahoosac notch (most diffucult mile on the Appalachian trail) for ice??, hiked thru it a few times and vertical walls on both side, wet dark place, seems possible

only place I climbed up there was grafton notch for day and it was great!

meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »

Mahoosac Notch is supposed to be cool.  I've had friends hike up in there and heard that there is a lot of rock up there.  Those same friends also to me to Larry Flume and the Gentian swamp wall, there is definitly ice up there!
Jon Howard

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »

Paul,

We actually climbed those flows in Gorham a few years back as well. I teach school at the Middle High School in Gorham and could see them (the ice flows) from 16 coming into town up over Hogan Rd on the right about mid-way up the hill. I asked around about them and a few of the locals thought that they had been climbed. They gave some names of folks in the area, but none rang a bell. We skied in about two years ago and I was thinking about getting them again this year as last season they didn't come in that well.

good quality climbs in my opinion. I thought they may have even been mentioned in the guide book?

Kind of a pain to get to, but I think worth the effort on good years.

Grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

I got a list of some newish climbs from Paul in that area just before I went on vacation. when I get back I'll post 'em.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

HangingChad

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

Paul,

We actually climbed those flows in Gorham a few years back as well. I teach school at the Middle High School in Gorham and could see them (the ice flows) from 16 coming into town up over Hogan Rd on the right about mid-way up the hill.
How long have you taught at GMHS?  I went to high school there.  And are those ice flows worth driving from plymouth for?  Maybe I'll check them out next time/if I come to visit my family before winter is out.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »

Grovelled our way into the Mahoosuc Notch from Grafton end several winters ago (heavy snow year).  Climbed several sorta forgettable 1-pitch WI3 flows on west side of notch in the first 2ish miles of scouting.  Rumored 2-pitch potential never materialized ("Really, it's probably just around the next...") but we may not have gotten deep enough?  Skis to get into the notch, snowshoes for parts and snow-swimming/talus-tunneling for other parts. 
Had to be some lines hard to see from the trail d/t snow cover and just too soul-killing to hike up and check out; early season or a lean snow year would make travel, scouting, and mixed potential much better.
Not a good place to screw up and injure yourself, obviously.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 24 queries.