Author Topic: Out of the way TR area for group  (Read 1122 times)

Offline pcooke

• NEClimbs Newbie
Out of the way TR area for group
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
I'll be up in the whites camping in Franconia Notch with a group of 7 high school students the weekend after Memorial day.  Any suggestions other than Echo crag, Artists Bluff, and the guide's wall for places to set up TRs easily?

DLottmann

Re: Out of the way TR area for group
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »
Lincoln Crag has a couple dozen routes from 5.4 to 5.11. Would be a great place to go, see Sykes book for details. Further down the Kanc you could go to Lost Horizon... there's a topo and route descriptions on this site:

http://www.neclimbs.com/index.php?PageName=routes_locationList&SortID=1&LocationID=5&ClimbingType=1

Nice to cool off in the river once you get back to the parking lot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:14:59 PM by DMan »

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:58:23 PM »
Square Ledge? (although requires gear anchors vs. slinging trees, and not especially demanding on the face, but moderates around the corner)
Dip in the river this early?  Brrr.  Make me shrivel a bit just thinking about it.
Have fun.  Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline slevasse

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:53:04 AM »
Actually square ledge is closed for the birds...otherwise it would be good.

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
Actually square ledge is closed for the birds...otherwise it would be good.

I believe he was refering to Square Ledge in Pinkam Notch, which is not closed for birds.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
Square Ledge? (although requires gear anchors vs. slinging trees, and not especially demanding on the face, but moderates around the corner)

I set up Square Ledge from the trees at the top. granted they are far back but with a couple of old ropes  it works well.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
Yep, Square Ledge, Pinkham.  Maybe not as close as you need, but would suspect it to be less busy this early and would offer easy monitoring of multiple lines.  YMMV, as they say.  Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »
If you are camping in Franconia I would really check out Lincoln Crag... it is not as well known and right down the road from you. Square Ledge runs the risk of having 3 other groups of 8 already in place.

I set up Square Ledge from the trees at the top. granted they are far back but with a couple of old ropes  it works well.

--al

I see this all the time, and while I use Square Ledge to teach some top-rope site management techniques I only use gear anchors any other time. There are good cracks above the west face, chimney, and the brain that offer good anchors, though I use a long tether (a rope) to access the one above the brain, and you need Aliens or other small cams to build it. Some of those trees are starting to look pretty rough from the amount of tramping up there (more dayhikers than climbers).