Author Topic: fire at Rattlesnake rocks - Rumney?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
fire at Rattlesnake rocks - Rumney?
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »
any word on this? there was something about it on the channel 9 news tonight. didn't look good. things are very very dry out there right now.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline rose

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: fire at Rattlesnake rocks - Rumney?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
Jay Knower posted some pics/info on Mountain Project.  I observed it tonight at about 8:15 and it didn't look good.  Lots of smoke and visible hot spots.

Rose

Offline Jean Goldsborough

• NEClimbs Junior Member

Offline JBeta

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Pull down, not out.

Offline Jean Goldsborough

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
FYI, the cliffs and parking lots are officially closed today. No word on when they will reopen that I have heard....

Offline mendonza

• NEClimbs Junior Member
    • mattmendonza.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »
Can you guys up north keep us posted? I was planning to head up Saturday but would hate to make the drive for nothing.

Is there anything at sundown that stays dry in heavy rains, as an alternative?

matt

Offline sparrow

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
You probably can't climb there Sunday anyways--it's like an 80% chance of rain.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
I heard someone from Vermont got off Orangahang and spontaneously combusted from the pump  :o
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »
was watching channel nine news also, interviewing climbers, some were as if Rumney was the only place to climb, had hired babysitter for day,plans ruined etc.

While fire not funny, chuckled a bit at that only place to climb mindset

Dude, go up 93 for 45 minutes ,plenty of climbing in franconia notch, sure not "sport heaven",but like go to Lincoln Crag as an alternative, plenty of moderate to hard Bolt routes there, or a day at echo, cannon etc.

between that car accident a couple weeks ago with the teens all dying and this fire, alot of non climbing misfortune at good ol Rumney   

Offline handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
My partner, Rich, and I were turned away this morning at 7.  There was what looked like a haze over the main cliff area as I drove in from Lebanon on 25 South.  I had not heard about the fire and thought it was some weird form of fog, but was straightened out by the ranger sitting in his truck waiting for climbers. BTW, Al, thanks for the links in the newsletter!

I'm sure glad I didn't have the same mindset as that dude from the coast.  We headed up to Cathedral for the day and really enjoyed the climbs.  Went through just about all the new bug repellent we had just bought!  Man, they were BAD ...

Hey Al, you mentioned you were working around the house.  Was that you making all that noise with the skill saw and hammer?
Do what you must do and do it well ... Dylan

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »
...you mentioned you were working around the house.  Was that you making all that noise with the skill saw and hammer?

nope, that was probably the guy working on my mother in-law's house next door. I was the old codger out working in the garden with my wife.  ::)

BTW in the morning around 9:30 I was out there and heard someone call ROCK and then heard a big noise of something bouncing down the cliff! I called out and asked if everyone was OK, and someone replied YES and then there was a big WHEW... whatever it was I heard it from 300 yards away!   :P

--al
Al Hospers

Offline handjammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Alan Emery
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
We didn't get there until right after that happened.  There was a couple starting Fun House that heard the warning.  They stated that they had heard two rock calls in about 15 minutes!  Glad nobody got hurt!   :)
Do what you must do and do it well ... Dylan

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/

The above link will give info. on the fire from the forest service. Rumney is completly closed untill further notice. According to the rangers when Rumney reopens it will be posted here.

What are the chances that this fire was caused by anything other than some dumba** smoking?

Dave

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
was watching channel nine news also, interviewing climbers, some were as if Rumney was the only place to climb, had hired babysitter for day,plans ruined etc.

While fire not funny, chuckled a bit at that only place to climb mindset

shhhhhh.  it is the only place to climb.  Lets keep the mass. of humanity away from our cliffs.
Jon Howard

Offline Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »
Rumney Fire Update
Hi All,

The fire broke through the fire line last night and has expanded to 13 acres, the USFS has requested a helicopter to do water drops.

They anticipate that Rumney will be closed through the weekend.

They are grateful at the response they have gotten from climbers please pass the word that it is likely that Rumney will be closed most likely through the weekend.

Bob