NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 71 times)

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
wildlife
« on: August 19, 2003, 09:15:15 AM »

while on sliding board last week came across a toad that was silver with black streaks looked like a piece of granite for sure...this weekend while on bear notch road almost hit a fisher...two species i've never come across in all my years...
Ed

DH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: wildlife
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 11:43:12 AM »

Wow, was the Fisher cool?  I hear those animals are little bad asses, how big was it?  They have a pretty fierce reputation for going baserk like a Badger.  Badgers are cool too.  I guess the coolest wildlife I've seen recently are wet climbers and loads of mushrooms.  On the way down the desent trail of the W-G we saw tousands of really cool mushrooms, wish I knew how to tell the edible ones, i like eating mushrooms, mmmm, shrooms.   :)

OtisHo

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 01:48:28 PM »

I believe it is a Copes tree frog (Hyla chrysoscelis)
they are not common but they are around. They eat wasps so don't bother them.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 06:20:47 PM »

the quantity and variety of mushrooms that are around this year are more than I've ever seen. the colors are amazing too. I've been taking a lot of pictures just because they are so amazing.

as far as eating wild mushrooms - i wouldn't do it. the military survival folks just say that there are too many varieties that are deadly. they don't even try and teach trainees which ones to eat. I knew some people in New York who were real experts. they had get-togethers every week or two just to go out & identify and pick wild mushrooms and eat them. they had been doing it for years. one day they picked some and ate them and one of them got extremely sick and almost died.

i'd rather eat bugs & grubs than wild mushrooms.

al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 06:21:32 AM »

I was just out at the Gunks this week and was treated to 4' long black snake coiled up on a little ledge (i.e. foothold) on P3 of Strictly From Nowhere.  I had to do some creative route finding to keep my distance.  I was able to keep about 6 feet from it, but we both eyed each other suspiciously the entire time.

Just above that was a baby salamander caught in a spider's web.  A spider about a 1/50th the size of the salamander was munching on it.  I never realized how strong those little webs were.  That was one happy spider - and one unhappy salamander.  The whole drama was about 2" long, but somehow very creepy.

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 23 queries.