Author Topic: I've got to get out of here!  (Read 940 times)

Pharmboy

I've got to get out of here!
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
I just can't take it anymore.  It's been 10+ years of desk work, miserable phone sales in a miserable industry (insurance).  It's been a good career as far as pay goes, but I'm just about burned out.  I have been thinking for the last 4-5 years that it was really time for a change.  Unfortunately I just don't know what the hell I want to do.

Lately I have been thinking that something in the outdoor industry would be a better suit for me. 

I'd love to hear from those of you that are working in this industry.  Whether you are a guide, sales rep in a store, outside marketing or working for a company that manufacturers outdoor products.  Please let me know what you do and what you like about your job and if your company is hiring that info would be great too! :)

Unfortunately my days of just being able to quit working and mooch off mom and dad are over, with a wife and three kids I need to be at least somewhat responsible.

Signed,

"Stumped, stifled and stupidified"

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: I've got to get out of here!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
wife, three kids, responsibilities, loves outdoors...perfect candidate to be a guide - NOT.

like most folks living up here I have more than one job: software engineer, guide, musician. can't really make a living in the outdoor industry, if you wanna be outdoors, unless you get your wife working.  ::)

--al
Al Hospers

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
After 36 years as a high school teacher and coach, I retired and "work" in the outdoor "industry"-- 120 days/year of guiding and/or ski instruction (depending on season) earns me spending $ for an occasional trip and replacement gear. I'm glad I've got my teacher's retirement or my daughter wouldn't be in college, my bills wouldn't get paid and my wife might not still be with me. I'd hate to try to live on just my "outdoor" income. Sorry to rain on the parade. Jeff

juanpaab

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
If you've got experience go apply for something man.  Unfortunately most shops seem not to want to train someone who is over 30 years old and rarely hire anyone under the age of 21.  So if you fit in that category and have no experience you could probably find a job.  If you have experience don't listen to what i just said.

JG

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Pharmboy,

Over the past couple of days I've been working on some updates to the site I manage for Marvin Hagler. he sent me some new pics & there was one of him and Brian Kenny, the sports announcer & anchor for ESPN Sports Center. for some reason I Googled him and found a commencement speech he did at Ohio Northern University in 2007. it's a really inspirational speech & well worth reading and I thought of this thread. although it's for recent graduates, perhaps it is appropriate. here is one paragraph:

"Do what interests you. You will be making important choices over the next few years. Eventually find what you love to do, and pour yourself into it. You do not want to dread driving to work every day. You'll be at your best, by the way, when you're happy. When you feel joy. Even when I was a cub reporter covering little league games in some tiny town, I always liked going to work. It didn't matter what I was getting paid. Eventually I hoped to be paid well, but I enjoyed each day and each day I paid attention to my craft. It was thirteen years before I landed at ESPN. Thirteen years of hard work and paying for diapers and baby formula with change from the car ashtray. It was worth every sacrifice. Do what you love."

here is the full link http://www-new.onu.edu/about_onu/2007_commencement_information/commencement_speech

good luck...

--al
Al Hospers

Pharmboy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Thanks Al.

So some updates...  This is not just a recent thought or idea, I have been thinking about this for quite a few years and it's been the subject of many discussions between my wife and I.

Yesterday we met with a realtor to take a look at our house.  We're hoping to get it on the market after our baby boy arrives in September.  We are hoping to at least make enough money on the sale to get set up with a small place elsewhere.  We are meeting tonight with a mortgage guy and financial advisor.  So I guess this is progressing into the next step.

I'm more excited then I have ever been in my life, short of my wedding day and the birth of my kids.  Once the house sells the Missus and I have decided to branch our horizons to anywhere within the U.S.  Near the top of my list is Flagstaff... and for her it's anywhere that is warm and the people are friendly.

Lot's of stuff has to line up, but I'm obviously excited about the prospects.