Author Topic: knots on rappel  (Read 284 times)

DLottmann

Re: knots on rappel
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2003, 08:19:51 PM »
I might start a new thread for this question but I will try to get some opinions here first.  How many of you back up your brake hand when rappeling with either a friction knot or mechanical device like the Petzl Shunt?  Let's hear what you use, if anything, and if you don't, why not?

Offline lynniefish

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 07:13:39 AM »
i almost always back up my brake hand with an autoblocking prussic knot -- its a nice thing to know that i wont plummet to the ground if something hits me in the head and temporarily knocks me out. in addition, if i cant see the end of the rope and fear that there might be a tangle, its great to know that i can let go with both hands.

that said, there are rare occasions when i dont use an autoblocker, and i guess i evaluate this on a case by case basis (if i can see the rope on the ground, if i am pretty sure there is no chance of debris from above, etc.)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 07:54:50 AM »
auto block if I think I will be dealing with  a rope tangle or messing with gear or wire brushing etc. also use the auto block if I don't know were I am going, wearing a heavy pack etc.

Offline Ollie

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Life is Good...Make it Gooder !
    • Ollie's Rock Gym
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 06:54:58 PM »
I always use a prussik with an extended belay/rappel device, just makes sense.
Life is Good...Make it Gooder !

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2003, 01:39:26 PM »
By adding back up knots on long/multipitch rappells takes all the guess work out of rappelling safely to your destination.

I have seen a person rappell off the end of their rope, and have read about good climbers doing the same because of fatigue, darkness, accident... don't fool yourself, you are not an exception.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2003, 01:47:28 PM »
the Petzl Shunt is a great device. I just used it when I rapped off the top of Cathedral down past the Beast Flake. it definitely is a valuable tool.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com