NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car theft at Cathedral?  (Read 125 times)

kthor_8711

• NEClimbs Newbie
Car theft at Cathedral?
« on: September 15, 2003, 07:58:18 AM »

I was climbing Thin Air on Saturday, and was on the top of the 4th pitch when some guys on the Prow started screaming wildly about their truck being stolen.  I guess they watched from above as someone either stole it or attempted to steal it.  Does anyone know the outcome of this?  I had my cell phone in my pack and called the N. Conway police, giving them the plate #, etc (the guys on the prow were yelling the plate number across to me).  Anyways, hope everything turned out ok

Kevin

scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Car theft at Cathedral?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 10:14:48 AM »

We were at the top of the cliff when we caught wind of this...
we drove down to the bottom, and pulled into one of the many parking spaces and found a bunch of broken glass from a car window with a stone wrapped in 3feet of cord...

Looked like that was the scene of the crime...

It is a terrible thing, all these breakins and such...
The Gunks has this problem too. >:(

kthor_8711

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 04:07:50 PM »

Was the truck (a red Nissan I think) still there?  I know the guys on the Prow were rapping down rather than finishing the route.  I could see my car the whole time on Thin Air, and this thought had occured to me before I heard the other guys yelling.  I don't know if it did any good, but it was one time I was glad to have a cell phone handy.  

Kevin

scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 07:31:54 AM »

I just heard it was a "red pickup truck".  I think it was actually stolen, which really sucks.

fishhookdan

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 08:27:33 AM »

I was one of the three guys whose truck was almost stolen, or thought to be stolen.  We were on the last pitch of Recompense when we saw two guys rummaging through our bags.  We figured if they took anything they would be gone by the time we got down, noting that if they took the car keys we could be in big trouble.  I led the last pitch and had just belayed my second up when I saw a maroon tundra with a cap, identical to mine, pull up in the parking lot with the back hatch open.  At this point (about 20 minutes after the guys rummaged through our bags) we thought our truck was being ransacked and stolen.  This is when we started screaming like madmen down to the parking lot.  One of us went around the top and the other two rapped down.  What had happened is that these two guys had taken a bunch of shit from our bags and the bags of another party (half a set of BD cams, sunglasses, headlamps, carabiners) and took off.  When our friend reached the bottom, he saw our identical truck with Mass plates (ours are from Idaho) and our truck was parked exactly where we left it.  Kind of a spooky coincidence.
Thank you very much to everyone that helped, especially the party on thin air i think it was that called the police and gave our liscense plate number.  A word of warning, sort your racks at the car and dont leave anything at the base of climbs here, we talked to a lot of people who said this isn't uncommon.    
Peace, danny

kthor_8711

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 10:31:36 AM »

Glad the car itself wasn't stolen!  Though losing a set of cams seesm almost as bad :)  We had seen a guy looking very closely at my car and my partner's motorcycle, so when I heard you guys yelling, I figured maybe it was this same guy.  We sorted our stuff at the car and left the bags there... big difference from the Gunks where I'll leave my stuff at the base of the climb all day :)

Kevin

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 06:44:30 PM »

Interesting you would say that as I had my rack stolen from the base of directissima in 1986 and was there last year in sept and was told that things were still pretty bad and that there had been a smash and grab the day before. we saw the busted glass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.