Author Topic: Polarguard 3D or Primaloft  (Read 2611 times)

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Polarguard 3D or Primaloft
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
The question could also read: "Patagucci DAS or Wild Things Belay Parka"?

I have read so many conflicting reply's on this subject, but from what I have taken away from the arguments is this:

Polarguard=More Durable, loftier, lighter, less compressable, continuous filament, less hydrophobic, perhaps not as warm oz for oz.?
Prima= less durable, a bit heavier than Polar, shorter batting, more compressable, warmer, more hydrophobic....

Way off the mark? :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Polarguard 3D or Primaloft
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »
I would say go with Wild Things since they are local but the DAS is toasty!! I lived in it when I was in AK a few years ago waiting out a 6-day storm.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »
Here is my second dilemma:

I have a DAS lined up for roughly 1/2 off...used but brand new....

But I really want to do business here locally...but it is a difference of about $160!!!  OUCH!

But I hate being that guy that bitches about all the jobs going to China and then balks on a great well made American product because it is cost prohibitive!!!

See my problem???  :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
Yeah I see your dilemma, $160 is a big difference but like you said it's a well made US product. Even though Patagucci is made overseas, they are sticklers with QC/QA in those factories, I believe they own them but I'm not positive on that. If you can swing it get the Wild Things jacket, I would but that's just my opinion. Good luck and climb safe!!!

Chris

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »
Yeah I see your dilemma, $160 is a big difference but like you said it's a well made US product. Even though Patagucci is made overseas, they are sticklers with QC/QA in those factories, I believe they own them but I'm not positive on that. If you can swing it get the Wild Things jacket, I would but that's just my opinion. Good luck and climb safe!!!

Chris

That is kind of where I am headed Chris. Thanks...oh and it looks like the new jackets use climbashield instead of the Polarguard. So something more to consider as it too is a continuous filalment.... but is a "green" product!

Offline T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
If "green" is a key point for you, buy the locally made jacket.  Even a "green" product shipped from China will have a larger carbon footprint than a less "green" product made in your hometown.  Not to mention, your local economy will benefit.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Offline bluesnpolitics

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
I have a DAS. I bought it because it was on sale. I love it. I was planning on buying the Wild Things belay jacket when I heard the DAS was on sale. I still wish I had bought the Wild Things Belay jacket, but I had to stop eating for a few day even to buy the DAS, so the Wild Things Belay was really too much. I think you'll be well off with either, but the Wild Things jacket is local business, probably better, and most likely equal or a tiny bit better on the green scale... the DAS could be accompanied by a new rope.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:06:41 AM »
Thanks guys....

I am going with the WT Belay Parka. As much of a stretch as it is financially I feel better about the purchase. They make great quality gear (still have a backpack that I bought about 15 years ago) and the local economy is important to me too. So the Belay Parka it is...  ;)

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
Tradchick and I have Mammut Stratus parkas.I think we paid 169 less 20% for them.I'd be sure to check these out before taking the plunge.Some kind of tough ripstop material that doesn't punture easily.Really nice belayin' jacket.
Tom Stryker

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
Tradchick and I have Mammut Stratus parkas.I think we paid 169 less 20% for them.I'd be sure to check these out before taking the plunge.Some kind of tough ripstop material that doesn't punture easily.Really nice belayin' jacket.

Where did you get them for that price Tom???

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »
At IME.Are they more now?Have you checked this jacket out?We love ours.

A lot of that Mammut stuff is just great.I got Tradchick their Soft Shell Jacket a while back.Well,one of them.It's every bit the jacket my Arcteryx is,for about a hundred less.

The locals sale was just last week,ask and ye shall recieve!!
Tom Stryker

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
Wild things has great customer service to. I have an Ice sack that is about 20 years old and was a prototype I got for free. It is made of a material similar to the spectra Ice sack they make now that costs a small fortune. At the time they decided not to use it for production packs because of the cost of the material. It has been indestructable and after many adventures over the years it had a zipper problem. Walked in to the store 2 weeks ago and 1/2 hour later I walked out with a new zipper in it! No cost and no problem! Dave R.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
Wild things has great customer service to. I have an Ice sack that is about 20 years old and was a prototype I got for free. It is made of a material similar to the spectra Ice sack they make now that costs a small fortune. At the time they decided not to use it for production packs because of the cost of the material. It has been indestructable and after many adventures over the years it had a zipper problem. Walked in to the store 2 weeks ago and 1/2 hour later I walked out with a new zipper in it! No cost and no problem! Dave R.

gotta love that!
I have two old Wild Things Packs that I just can't seem to kill...and therefore don't have the heart to throw them out...they kind have outlasted their purpose...I would challenge any other company out there to do that!!! I even have an old Raptor harness that looks brand new....(a conversation pice now of course!!!)

I am going to pick the WT Belay parka up this week.

Thanks Dave!

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:22 AM »
Digging my new Wild Things Belay Parka!!!   ;D