Author Topic: Camping Near Cathedral?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Camping Near Cathedral?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 10:04:11 am »
Bivy some place in the woods - illegal

There is great FREE camping all along the Kank - you can even have fires - legal

Also, camping at the Cathedral cave is a good alternate to the rainy bivy - illegal

Ask locals, usually they will tell you about the 'secret' sweet spots.* - usually private land - legal

Also, it is encouraged to give away free beers to people at the cliffs, you might make friends with people who own houses in N. Conway.* - legal

* yielded KILLER places to stay by giving away cold cans of Budweiser to thirsty climbers

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 11:40:05 am »
Just FYI for all Cathedral "bivi-poachers" who decide to take thier chances just off the Bryce Path road.

After a couple of rounds of weekday-burglaries for the owners of Sanctuary nieghborhood, (underneath Cathedral), the CPD (as well as the occasional NHFS) now patrols the place regularly, especially on climbing weekends. For those caught it's the most expensive night's stay they'll ever have in the MWV (better to book a room at the Mt. Washington).

I know as I was one of the ones broken into.

I feel only slightly hypocritical as I used to bivi illegally in RMNP years ago  ;) ..but just like everything else, it ain't the old-dayz anymore...the sport's too popular and the places too crowded. Lots of trash gets left by others there as well. I make the rounds every other week or so and come back with a garbage bag full.

-fred keith

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 11:45:29 am »
"I make the rounds every other week or so and come back with a garbage bag full."

if you're tired of the bolting issues, there's something that is good to do and helps everyone. if you see trash around the cliffs or on the approach road, pick it up. I make a trip down there on a regular basis and pick up trash that is almost certainly left by climbers - power bar wrappers, chalk paper wrappers, gear marking tape...  you name it.

I also remind the climbers I see who are obviously camping that it is illegal. some are more friendly about it than others. hard to believe that folks are so nutty as to set up tents next to the Cote Boulder, but they do!!!

Al
Al Hospers

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 05:01:02 pm »
Exactly.

The quickest route to scrutiny and further regulation is for people to continue outside the lines of the different parks and forest services.

See J-Tree, Eldo and Hueco.

If that happens, bolting will be the least of our worries.

Offline scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2003, 02:54:28 pm »
The 'bivi-poachers' are probably not the criminals, rather people just trying to get around the ever tightening regulations, so long 'old-dayz' :-[

Thanks for the heads up Fred

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2003, 05:38:30 pm »
Scottie:

Actually, the clown who broke in was a couple of years ago was some local Tamworth guy trying to sell the sh*t for money to finance local raves.

They caught him 'cause he fell asleep in some house he was burgle-ing in Bartlett.

See Darwin Awards.... ;)

Offline cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2004, 08:16:32 am »
This may be obtuse....however I'd like to know for sure as to avoid a ticketing situation.  Is it illegal to sleep in the back of a pickup or inside a car at Cathedral?