NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident on Cathedral on Barber Wall - 7/12/2014  (Read 2991 times)

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: Accident on Cathedral on Barber Wall - 7/12/2014
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »

Al, not sure if you saw my note. I have quite a few pictures of Brian that you can help yourself to.

That is a fantastic shot you selected for the cover, Al. Bad-assed climbing shot and a really aesthetic picture.

Thanks for sharing it, Dominic.
We came to climb, not to whine.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »

Great shot.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »

Besides being a fabulous photograph, huge thanks Dominic, I look at that picture of Brian and I see someone who is totally and completely at home on the rock. He was quite a climber...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

acatta

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 05:54:38 AM »

I am fortunate to have had time with Brian, he truly was an impeccable man. Many years over Memorial Day in Acadia will now take on a new feeling.
"steal your face right off your head"

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »

From Brian Delaney's wife and daughter:

We finally have word from the facility managers of the world. (They do run the world!)

Brian's Celebration of life will be held on Aug. 10th at 4 p.m. at Scarborough High School Auditorium. This gathering is being generously sponsored by Hannaford Supermarkets and Scarborough Community Services. This will be a celebration of Brian's happy life. His family asks that guests forgo the usual mourning attire in favor of joyous colors, preferably Hawaiian-style shirts.

Aug. 16th at 1 p.m. (rain date of Aug. 17th at 1 p.m.) is when his family and friends will say goodbye at Cathedral Ledges in Bartlett, N.H. (just outside North Conway). The ceremony will begin at the base of the cliff in the picnic area. Those who are able will join his family in a 20-minute walk to the top of the ledge. There will be a shuttle for those who can't make the walk. Hana's chorus, Musica de Filia, will be performing.

In September there will be a charity race in Brian's name to benefit the AMC Youth Program. It will be called the FLY'N BRIAN 5K Walk/Run. Details to follow.

For those individuals who are not able to join us at any of these times there also will be a brief ceremony at the top of Otter Cliffs in Acadia National Park on the morning of Memorial Day, 2015.

These events are open to all whose lives were touched either directly or indirectly by Brian's spirit. Thank you for spreading the word.

Best,

Kristine and Hana
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Echo

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »

Yesterday I listened to Ed Webster give a eulogy for Brian on the top of Cathedral Ledge where 100+ friends & family had gathered.

It was a moving eulogy, as most are, but a highlight for me was the email Ed shared that Brian had sent to the late John Turner just weeks before his passing, thanking him for being such an inspiration with the historic routes he had put up. While Brian had countless solos of Recompense under his belt one of the most memorable ascents was the one when he removed by hand the wooden wedge that was placed on the first ascent, carefully clipped it to his harness, and then placed on his mantle at home for close to 30 years in a spot of reverence... once the chills subsided the laughs came when Ed read the bit about coming home to find his wife had used the wedge as an impromptu doorstop one day...

Ed also quoted someone, who I am trying to track down the original quote...

"It is better to be in the mountains thinking of God, than to be in Church thinking of the Mountains"...

The fact we were standing on Cathedral Ledge was not lost on anyone...

We gathered on Airation Buttress for the spreading of the ashes...

There are days in the mountains you know you will never forget. The day Brian died will be with me forever, but the day I watched his ashes sore upward, I will think of more often.

Climbing is community.

RIP Brian.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:38:16 PM by Echo »

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »

Thanks echo..so good to see a nice sized crowd show up...I remember Ed's photo of Brian passing the Recompense pin in a long ago article..i think I still have it.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

I took the motorcycle out for a long evening drive the other night. The night was warm, the air smelled of turning leaves. I found myself at the base of Cathedral and stopped to sit and look at the ledge from the picnic area where we had all converged the day we said our goodbyes. We haven't forgotten you Brian, and I continue to revisit how lucky I am to have so many wonderful friends, a loving family and, as far as I know, more time to explore and touch upon those things that scare me, wake me up and make me feel most alive. Just a note to say we still remember and will never forget.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

c-dub

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • chuck
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »

UPDATE: The Flyin-Brian-5k Fun Run/Walk is this Sunday at 1PM.  This is Hana's community project this year.

In case I can't get the image of the flyer on here correctly, it reads in full:

Flyin' Brian 5k Run/Walk
Join the family of Brian Delaney for a fun trail run or walk in Brian's memory to benefit the Appalachian Mountain Club's Youth Opportunity Program!
WHEN: Sunday October 19, 1 PM
WHERE: Camp Ketcha, 336 Black Point Rd., Scarborough, ME
COST: $20 (includes t-shirt)
REGISTER: www.runreg.com/flyin-brian-5k
VOLUNTEERS: Email briandelaney5k@gmail.com
chuck

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

Ill try to be there!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.