Author Topic: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead  (Read 2015 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 05:54:33 PM »
Luke,,my buddy..a lot of people don't ignore the signs of storm,sometimes you just get hit. Shit, its happened to me more than few times on Cannon

I don't know for sure exactly what happened in this instance,,but it sounds like the weather turned and unfortunately she didn't deal with it or know how to deal with it.

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 08:09:08 PM »
Ed and JB - thanks for the laughs! I needed them this morning!
...it had been so quiet and boring this last month or so!

I've always thought it's better to keep laughing; cause if you don't, you'd start crying….

However, I do have some serious thoughts on this subject.

It seems to me:

In every potential disaster situation that I've had; there were two critical events: the moment I realized things had "gone to $h!t…" and the actual moment when things really had truly "gone to $h!t…"

Experience shows me: the sooner you recognize the second;  the better chance you have of surviving the first...

I'd bet that guys like Messier, Chuck Yeager, and the first Viking who sailed to North America, all had that "sixth sense" ability to see disaster before it actually happens.  For the rest of us, in stuck in the middle of the bell shaped curve: some times we win, and sometimes we lose…

I cringe to think of that poor women after the moment she realized "I'm f'ed…"

ed "who has been thinking way too much about mortality, lately…E
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:23:25 PM by ed_esmond »
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 08:46:17 PM »
Nothing quite like a thunderstorm on the Cannon slabs is there John... :o

Ed's summation is really good, most of my good fortune has been seeing #2 early enough.
Tom Stryker

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Re: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 09:15:18 PM »
the moment I realized things had "gone to $h!t…"
Very thoughtful Ed.
There is a big difference between the "dude I thought we were going to die" statement and the experience where one makes peace with the conclusion in the field.
In the latter case, personally, for me  the bonus round kicked in and a favorable outcome. I would guess a few readers  have experienced this but it is quite unique.

Don't Climb

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #79 on: Today at 08:25:36 AM »
I agree with Ed too.

Though I also think some of our decision making comes down to levels of acceptable risk. At least for me. I was for the most part willing to "stick my neck out" when I was younger allot more than I am now.

I'd rather be to the pub early than later!

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #80 on: Today at 08:37:30 AM »
Sometimes I think that climbers from out of state are more inclined to stay out in deteriorating conditions than locals.  I have turned back twice this winter but I live 30 minutes away and there's always "next weekend."  Non locals may not have that luxury.

100% agree.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #81 on: Today at 12:33:52 PM »
In every potential disaster situation that I've had; there were two critical events: the moment I realized things had "gone to $h!t…" and the actual moment when things really had truly "gone to $h!t…

I know some of you and I know that the moment they realized that "things had 'gone to..." it is when they read the avy post saying moderate or higher rating.

For the hiker on the traverse, doing her trip in winter, at ten F without wind was the best situation. what she wear was probably adapted to those situations. Doing at 0 F...and shit appear, doing it at 0 F with 50 miles per hours wind...and it is worse...doing it as minus six with 50 miles per hour wind...it is arctic weather.

As she want to do the Everest, and as experience trad climber do, she should had divided is challenge in portion where she can turned back. First, is she wearing arctic clothes, did she know where to get out of the ridge...etc.

Never forget that every person have a different signification of things going bad. For experience climber, canon in thunderstorm is not so worse. Personally, I like to climb pinacle in extreme avy post, in a white out...and I did it many times. But I won't do it two or three days after a snow storm, when we have blue bird sky and moderate avalanche danger because for me the things goes...

Should remember what smart pig said: Think about how YOU would deal in the prevailing conditions and be carefull at those guy who told you to avoid instead of learning gradually.