Author Topic: Cell phone kills woman  (Read 306 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
Re: Cell phone kills woman
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »

RE the cell phone vs compass issue... I thought most, if not all, cell phones have compass apps built in. I don't use them, the compass apps, but are they accurate in places like that?

Yes. I use an App called "Theodolite" that is so accurate it can be used in surveying (that's the background of the app developer I think).

This promotional video is about 5 years old but still relevant regarding what the app does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qH0_DTLyc

No cell signal is required for this, or the navigation app I used most often, ViewRanger: http://www.viewranger.com/en-US

Both use the phone's GPS chip, which functions even when the phone is in Airplane Mode.

If interested in cell phone navigation benefits & limitations I went into some detail on what is out there in this post from December: https://nealpinestart.com/2015/12/09/should-you-use-a-smartphone-for-wilderness-navigation/

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »
This is definitely a very weird story.  I haven't read any excerpts from her diary, but I agree with people who say that "Something was not quite right," but I'd add "with this woman."  Who would hang around doing nothing for twenty-six days?  You could walk to New York City in twenty-six days.  Could this possibly have any similarity to the Guy Waterman thing a few years ago?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 11:16:16 PM »
the article that i read  had excerpts and indicated that she tried pretty hard to find a cell signal. hung out on a mountain top for a long time trying to send texts and waiting for a rescue plane to see her shiny space blanket, ran out of food and water, got weak  and hunkered down. it also said she had a compase. With a compase or even a few sunny days in a row where you can navigate by the sun if you pick any direction and walk a straight line you will hit a road in a day or so...

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
I guess the old walk downhill method wasn't gonna be used here..or maybe even yellout ?

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
The whole thing is very odd.  What experienced outdoor person (or even inexperienced) would do what she did?  Hunker down for an entire month?  Really?  She's right next to "Sugarloaf USA" for chrissakes.  And she's a hiker—why didn't she start hiking?  Isn't that what she likes to do?

If you want to read a great book (fiction) about someone (a nine-year-old girl) getting lost in the forests of NH and Maine, read Stephen King's  The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It's a terrific book, especially if you like the Red Sox.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:57:29 AM by Nick Grant »