Author Topic: Hitchcock Gully  (Read 757 times)

Offline petr07

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Hitchcock Gully
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the report. So did you end up level with the 3 screw belay or below? Was the 3 screw belay level with the normal tree belay with rap gear on it?

No, I ended above the belay by maybe 10 feet or so.  Screw belay was probably about level or maybe slightly lower than tree belay off to the climbers right.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »
Peter,

Glad to hear you're ok.

I climbed upper hitch today. First pitch to tree was brittle in spots and plastic. The final little vertical section to the gully was brittle like I can't remember. Huge fractures betore I'd get a decent stick but the ice wasn't really breaking away. I usually don't place gear here but it was so scetch I did. When I pulled up next to that little tree limb what I was standing on fractured and broke away. I didn't go anywhere as I had a good hook and turf shot and my feet actually didn't move much as was expecting this could happen.

If you weren't though I could see how a fall might happen. You're actually in pretty easy terrain at that point (edit to add) and probably not expecting anything to break away. Of course this is total speculation as ice could and probably was completely different.

Heal up and get back out there.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:07:40 AM by markvnh »

Offline petr07

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Peter,

Glad to hear you're ok.

I climbed upper hitch today. First pitch to tree was brittle in spots and plastic. The final little vertical section to the gully was brittle like I can't remember. Huge fractures betore I'd get a decent stick but the ice wasn't really breaking away. I usually don't place gear here but it was so scetch I did. When I pulled up next to that little tree limb what I was standing on fractured and broke away. I didn't go anywhere as I had a good hook and turf shot and my feet actually didn't move much as was expecting this could happen.

If you weren't though I could see how a fall might happen. You're actually in pretty easy terrain at that point (edit to add) and probably not expecting anything to break away. Of course this is total speculation as ice could and probably was completely different.

Heal up and get back out there.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

The ice didn't seem nearly as brittle on Sunday as you describe it was yesterday.  Still, I was hesitant to trust it due to the weather cycle we'd had but the complacency set in when I thought I'd finished the route.  I didn't have good hooks/turf shots all the way through stepping onto solid ground, else I might not have fallen.