Author Topic: Frankenstein Cliff  (Read 377 times)

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
Frankenstein Cliff
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
I ran into someone on the railroad tracks today who told me that they assisted in an evacuation from the Waterfall area in the past few days. They thought that the man had 2 broken ankles and had been climbing with his son. It seems they used a tarp to drag him out and were unaware about the rescue sled under the deck back at the house at the top of the parking lot. The person with whom I was speaking said that some guides also assisted in this operation and they were not aware of the sled either(??????). Wishing the individual a speedy recovery.

Just wondering if anyone has information on why the accident occured and what if anything could have been done to prevent it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:39:47 PM by David_G48 »

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Frankenstein Cliff
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »
Details have been sparse but from what I've gathered so far a leader fall on Waterfall yesterday ended up in a destroyed ankle. Hopefully the victim will feel open to reporting what happened. Only learning points I could gather from what I have heard so far;

1) Don't fall while leading moderate ice (Waterfall has way to many ledge/bulges for a lead fall to be ok)

2) Percocets should be in my first aid kit as that shit hurts. A couple witnesses said he was in quite a bit of pain.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:41:52 PM by NEAlpineStart »

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:18 PM »
Careful with those percocet Dr. DMan..... We live in a litigious country.....
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »
Careful with those percocet Dr. DMan..... We live in a litigious country.....

Those are for me to deal with the pain associated with carrying a litter...

Seriously though you're right. I should know better from my WFR. But I think my WFR instructor said something about pointing out those pain killers lying on the ground being up for grabs? Probably wouldn't hold up in court. Oh well, sorry man, you're going to be hurtin' for a bit.

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »
Yep, there's a reason EMR's, EMT-B's and EMT-I/A's can't do pain control and only medics can....  You never know how someone will react to narcotics, and it's a lot easier to stop an IV drip than it is to cough up a pill.  If someone is in that much pain, a medic needs to be on the way with a drug box!

Offline foxtrotsix

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
 Well first off let me say, for all those who assisted My 27 year old son and I from Waterfall a couple weeks ago .....Thanks a pant load!!! Its Great to see and be a part of the New England Climbing community. Thanks , thanks ,thanks,! cant say it enough. To the dude who picked my left behind gear from the ice the next day and actually brought it to me in the Hospital, you are an outstanding individual !!!thanks Man!!!contact me I would like to talk with you.
 FYI im 53 and have been climbing both rock and Ice since about 1993, I have had lessons on Ice through EMS climbing school , I even worked for them as an O.S. in the old Natick store ....I am Experienced ! Accidents Happen! Ice climbing and Mountaineering are inherently dangerous!!!!! look the fuck out, it can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME
So this is what happened. As we all know it was a great day for climbing. Blue sky 34 degrees ......life was good. I took the days climb to waterfall on the tracks at Frankenstein, we headed up the easy first pitches to the main flow of Ice about 150 to 200 ft above the tracks. I have lead this route many times before.it was all going well , we even held fast at about mid flow about 40 ft from the top to let some faster climbers go ahead of us, after they topped out I began my moves to the last bulge at the top. I swung my axes in good over the bulge and began to" walk up on my axes" cresting the bulge, I removed my right axe to gain higher placement for my next step up ,removed it and began to swing it in when everything that I was standing on and axed into let go in a big chunk, im talking a big friggin chunk all 3 points of protection came loose with the chunk I was on! I slammed down the 12 ft bulge on my" ice surfboard "which shattered into a million pieces , sending me head over heals down the cliff face.... and as we all know .....you are going to fall twice the distance of your last placement! 15 plus 15 is 30 ......yes that's right 30 ft head over heals WTF!!!!!! it happens... anyway it was nothing more than an unfortunate Mountaineering accident, the law of averages finally bit me in the ass ...hard!!!
I broke both ankle bones and my heal on my right foot and my heal on the left foot, pain was a mother fucker!!!!!
surgery in two weeks will have me out and about and back to my life soon after
Well there you have it my first hand account of the fall .
Thanks again for all the assistance everyone
FXTRT6
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:57:22 PM by foxtrotsix »

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the update and candor. Wishing you a 100% and quick recovery. All I can say is wow on the rather large section of ice letting loose.......your right sh%$#t does happen and in this case it did. Hope that you are back on the rock this Summer and ice climbing next season again.

David G

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
Hopefuly a full recovery!.. only done waterfall twice and both times felt the top out was kind of sketch for a climb that is described as the easiest in the area.

Offline Jonny_Weld-a-Nut

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
All the best to you.  Heal quick!!!

JDW

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
Heal quickly man...
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Ouch! Heal up fast.

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
Ice climbing:  cold, wet, dangerous, and . . . scary!    Good luck to Foxtrotsix.  I hope that you're feeling better soon.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:14:24 PM »
When my friend Irish Mike says "use beautiful in a sentence twice"  I think of incidents like this-

Beautiful, fucking beautiful

Offline SidleK

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »
PM'd FoxTrot

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
Hopefuly a full recovery!.. only done waterfall twice and both times felt the top out was kind of sketch for a climb that is described as the easiest in the area.

Ditto... I remember thin ice giving way to a nice rock slab with a dusting of snow... some of my most gripped climbing in my early seasons.

Thank you Foxtrot for sharing your story. From the sounds of it it was a large piece of detached ice, maybe deceivingly undermined since the Christmas Thaw? I know shit happens but did you have any sign of it being separate from the rock before it broke? Not that it would have mattered for most of us, but I always look for any possible preventive info with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20 (sometimes). Again, thanks for the candor, and hoping you have the fastest and complete recovery!