Author Topic: Ice or Rock this weekend?  (Read 777 times)

meclimber

Ice or Rock this weekend?
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »
Got out rock climbing last weekend and will do the same this weekend.  I think for me it's time to put away the tools.  How would everybody rate their ice season?  Mine was great, felt that I met some personal goals I've been wanting to reach.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Ice or Rock this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »
I'm looking forward to climbing some rock again soon as well.  :D however, it's still a ways away up here tho. probably a week or so before the South Buttress or Humphrey's clears off enough. you folks in Mass or below are 2-3 weeks ahead of us in that department, as per usual. but of course I get to climb ice for a couple of more weeks in the Notches plus keep at it on Washington a bit longer.

great question BTW so I posted a poll in the Ice Climbing area regarding how your personal season was. I'd be very interested in the responses...

--al
Al Hospers

meclimber

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »
Are you calling me a masshole... ;)...NH born and raised.  Franconia notch was 46 degrees last weekend, band M has been good for a couple weeks.  I think that we are heading back to franconia this weekend.  I bet you could pick and choose your routes over on the south but now too.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
massole, oops sorry 'bout hat.  ;D

so Band M is good now? interesting... where do you park to hike in there?

with it that warm in Franconia, how goes the Dike? what rock are you climbing in Franconia? I would assume not on Cannon.

there is still some stuff above the South Butt, but maybe sooner if it doesn't rain or snow much more. I was looking at Humphrey's yesterday but there is still a lot of seepage.

--al
Al Hospers

meclimber

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
When I go to band M I try to drive as far up the road as possible just to stay off the radar.  But I've never had a problem with parking right at the sand pit.  The dike looked good still but my eyes were else where.  We climed at rumney in the till about 10 am then it got crowded so we headed over to artists bluff and had a surprising amount of fun in the sun.  5.easy to 5.12.  Hopefully humphreys dries out soon, I think I remember the upper 2/3's of guides route being dry with the went part being manageable and all of those bolted climbs in the middle usually bing dry. 

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »
Cold up there today. 4 degrees f on my way over 118 to cannon but fairly nice in the sun . WG looked tempting but we had the Dike in mind so winter it still was 8)

meclimber

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Mid 30's up in franconia today, artists bluff in the morning, went up afterward to profile cliff which is pretty cool, I hadn't been there before.  And we got a lap in on the arete at echo at the end of the day.  Lots of fun in the sun, but it is definitly still winter.  I wonder what next weekend will bring?

DGoguen

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »
Climbed over at Humphreys today. Pretty much everything from Robinson Crusoe to the left was dry. Patches of snow on the way but not bad on the approach.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
it was 54 degrees in the Valley today. truly amazing. I had kiddo duty 'till 2 so only hard time for a bike ride with Mike Hartrich. absolutely gorgeous day to be outside doing anything.

--al
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
I got out to deer leap for some nice sunny rock. Interesting how soling 5.7 is 100 times easier and less scary than leading grade 4....

meclimber

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
Right, ice is scary.  I almost feel I'm cheating myself on rock, well, almost.  Good to hear that humphreys is good.  I was thinking about that next weekend.  You said robinson crusoe was dry?  Castaways? 

DGoguen

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »
  Good to hear that humphreys is good.  I was thinking about that next weekend.  You said robinson crusoe was dry?  Castaways? 

Definitely

meclimber

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
NICE!