Author Topic: Bouldering at Smugglers' Notch  (Read 652 times)

Offline neil

• NEClimbs Newbie
Bouldering at Smugglers' Notch
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »
I have a couple questions about early spring bouldering. Hope someone can help.

How long is the walk from the gate at Smugglers' Notch Resort to the boulders?

What's the snow situation these days? Are we better off bringing skis or pads (or neither....?)

Thanks.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Bouldering at Smugglers' Notch
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:59:28 am »
Bring skis.

Offline alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »
hey nick and neil : was gettin in some spring ice climbs there this past saturday, almost brought my skis but did not , road snow pretty packed now, some bare spots but we approached from north end

did jefferson slide grade 3 version , then elephants head gully 2 pitch , 3 people (one person who never ice climbed before, had rocked climbed, he did pretty good)
were quite a few parties in the classics on other side of elephants head all day, but it sure is going fast at this rate

anyway hiking out went by a couple with their crash pads in the snow doin their thing on a high boulder on that nice sunny day, its all good

neil, to answer your question is about a mile and 1/2 to some boulders right off the road from stowe (south) end, and seemed about a mile from north end approach I took for first time Sat. , I was visiting daughter in Burlington so went in that way, lotta ice everywhere Nick, i gots to get back with the boys next year, time to break the rock gear out though 

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09:22 pm »
I was up there last friday and the sking was firm but decent cover. We did BIB.