Author Topic: rumney warming up? Dry?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline ethatch

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: rumney warming up? Dry?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
Sorry to sound flip.  This thread does get at a problem I have with the internet... Asking for beta on where the best conditions are, well -- imagine if you went on the internet and asked a bunch of fishermen where the fish are biting, and where their secret holes are? Or asked some hunters where the turkeys roost? Or asked skiers where their secret powder stashes are? You'd get laughed out of the place! In this case it doesn't really matter, since Rumney on the weekends is a soiled experience anyways. But especially with ice climbing, why on earth would anyone want to share their hard-won beta on which routes are in a good nick until after you've climbed 'em?  We've all seen it happen when a picture goes up on the web, and the next weekend that climb is a mob scene.

Here's my point: being able to read proper conditions and make the right call is part of the game. Even if you live in Boston. It's a skill, just like being able to place bomber gear or equalize an anchor, and something that can be acquired. 

That said -- thank god for Rumney.  It keeps the other crags nice and peaceful, even on weekends.

Als, this little rant isn't directed at you, I'm sorry to go off.

Sure for skiing and Ice. Never thought about this on rock though, but I guess I can see how it applies. With that view, we have a pretty awesome ice climbing community seeing how lots of climbers post conditions and are psyched to hear about other climbers enjoying those spots thanks to said reports.
"If you got the fuckin' spirit you rock, if you don't.....your a sport climber"
    -leonard Coyne

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
c'mon man...you got a first hand report of how the conditions are, it doesn't get much better than that.  The rest is just good ole, and dare I say obvious humor.  Don't let it ruin your day!  I hope we can all still be friends  :-*

"obvious humor"?  to whom?

admittedly, i thought the original question was a little silly (i agree with freddy that one should be able to figure out what the conditions are even from a couple of hours away...) but, obviously "alsboston" couldn't, and just decided to ask a simple question about the conditions.

he didn't ask for directions to a "secret stash" of powder or a remote, rarely formed 5-star ice routes that's finally in "good nick" or a "honey hole" where lunkers hook themselves on your lure.

all he asked is "rumney dry?"

keep in mind, he didn't ask, "is rumney an over-bolted sewer?"  nor did he ask, "what do you bad-asses think of pansy-assed rumney?"

so, how did this enlightened forum respond?

personally, i read the question, thought it was silly and chose not to answer...

one nice guy actually took the time to politely answer the question...

and the rest basically said: "rumney sucks and you suck also..." unstated in that reply is "i know this because i'm awesome  and i'm awesome because i climb at other awesome cliffs and i'm not you..."

it's the second part of the last answer i object to.

maybe you think rumney sucks, and maybe "alsboston" does suck for asking a silly question.

that's fine, you are all entitled to think that way. i wonder, though, do we all need to read about it in your obviously "un-humorous" way? 

respectfully,

ed e

ps. freddy wrote: "Rumney on the weekends is a soiled experience anyways..."  just wondering, anyone here been to Gunks on a nice weekend lately?

pps. admin al wrote: "that's OK Freddie...I kind of agree with you."  i don't think he was talking to you,  i think he was sort of apologizing to "alsboston."
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Offline Flotsam

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »
"obvious humor"?  to whom?

all he asked is "rumney dry?"

I read 3 questions
  1) is it warm?
  2) is it dry?
  3) is it worth the drive

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
Anybody know how if there's any hot chick action at Rumney lately...? Is it worth the drive to check em out, or should I just go to BRG again?
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
Short shorts and sports bras as far as the eye can see.  But I think you suck for asking...and I'm awesome for answering...

;)
Jon Howard

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »
Thanks for answering! And now that I'm going to have Cathedral all to myself, it's time for you to change your username to, meloser...

;D
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »
I'm glad some of us are finding humor in this post, I'm sitting here laughing to myself.  I need out of the office.
Sincerely,
        meloser
Jon Howard

Offline alsboston

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
The old 'Rumney sucks cause its bolted and I'm too cool to enjoy climbing there with the crowds, babies running around, and other people's dogs eating my lunch' thing does get a bit old.  Rumney is what it is.  This is the sport climbing section of neclimbs.  Can't one, even in this little corner of the internet world, admit to a secret yearning for rumney without fear of embarrassment?  Yeah, I've heard that if you grab the rumney rock too often you'll go blind.  But I don't believe it, and it feels so good, so I'm gonna do it with pride (although I obviously won't use my real name here).   I'll hide it from my parents but I'll admit it here:  I climb at rumney and I ENJOY the bolts!  Hell, I think it feels so good to clip the bolts that I actually...clip the bolts.  Everybolt I see I clip.  I've clipped bolts on routes NEXT to my route.  Not only that, but I use one of those cheating sticks too, even when the first bolt is EASY to get to.  I get off on it.  I made my cheat stick by hand.  It extends when I, or anyone else for that matter, grabs it and twists it.  Sweet huh?

Guess even my strongest supporter thinks my original question, is it dry, silly!  I'm not above accepting consensus so perhaps it was a silly question.  Maybe I should have written it as "is there still snowpack at rumney".  Really wasn't that long ago I was ice climbing there, so I just thought I'd find out if its still covered with ice and snow or not.  I didn't mean to find out if this or that route was dry on any particular day, just if the snow was gone.  I'm not an idiot. Still, my bad, confusing question.  I'm in boston, I don't know if there's snow at the top of cliffs at Rumney, lurking amongst the trees.  So I ask.  Al provides pretty nice updates on the state of cathedral and other places near conway.  For instance, he suggests due to falling ice NOT to climb cathedral right now, which is why I'm not planning on climbing there right now.  But there's no such update for rumney.  I figured someone who lives nearby and frequents the place would know if the snow was gone. 

I think I'm spoiled by the neclimbs ice report.  Every weekend I check to see if the ice is in and then I plan where I'm going.  I'm hooked.  I don't know how to decide anything on my own anymore.

So, I appreciate the answers.  But is it really necessary for every climber, even the ones who go there, to roll there eyes when you say you *might* go to rumney.  Maybe I like crowds, sports bras, strange dogs sniffing my ATC, and bored toddlers throwing rocks at me while I belay, and watching spandex clad women in their last trimester lead rock (very impressive).  Who's to judge what gets me off?

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
Well put, you had me laughing out loud too.

"Can't one, even in this little corner of the internet world, admit to a secret yearning for rumney without fear of embarrassment?  Yeah, I've heard that if you grab the rumney rock too often you'll go blind.  But I don't believe it, and it feels so good, so I'm gonna do it with pride (although I obviously won't use my real name here).   I'll hide it from my parents but I'll admit it here:  I climb at rumney and I ENJOY the bolts!  Hell, I think it feels so good to clip the bolts that I actually...clip the bolts.  Everybolt I see I clip.  I've clipped bolts on routes NEXT to my route.  Not only that, but I use one of those cheating sticks too, even when the first bolt is EASY to get to.  I get off on it.  I made my cheat stick by hand.  It extends when I, or anyone else for that matter, grabs it and twists it.  Sweet huh?"

Absolutly f*cking classic.   ;D
I secretly yearn for rumney sometimes too.  I just don't tell my friends about it.

"Hell, I think it feels so good to clip the bolts that I actually...clip the bolts.  Everybolt I see I clip.  I've clipped bolts on routes NEXT to my route."

I'm still snickering..

Jon Howard

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »
I was just thinking: Why is your average Rumney climber more attractive than the ones who climb around North Conway? What does that say about the gene pool?  ;D

PS. How's the fish torturing going, Ed?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »
Hey, just cause you actually have girls come to your crag...

...short shorts and sports bras as far as the eye can see.

;D
Jon Howard

Offline meclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
"...strange dogs sniffing my ATC..."

you just made my friday.
Jon Howard

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
Serious question regarding Freddie's rant...

I'm wondering what's caused greater crowds at the cliffs in the long run:

a) Pictures on the intertube...?

b) Guides/climbing related business concerns...?

c) Something else...?
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

Offline alsboston

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
Are you asking what causes crowds at rumney versus other places or what causes crowds at 'popular' cliffs in general?  Or if a popular cliff by definition must be crowded?

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
General popularity of the sport.

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck