Author Topic: Accident at 5.8 crag?  (Read 931 times)

Shouldah

Accident at 5.8 crag?
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
anyone know what happened at the 5.8 crag on sunday 4.19?  all i know is that there were two ambulances and a cop car down on the road around 3.

Offline ethatch

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Accident at 5.8 crag?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
I read over on mountain-project that there was an accident at Main cliff where someone was lowered off the end of their rope. I imagine this must be the same accident
"If you got the fuckin' spirit you rock, if you don't.....your a sport climber"
    -leonard Coyne

Shouldah

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:23 am »
so let me get this straight? 2 "seasoned' climbers were at the Main Cliff at Rumney. before they started climbing they joked about how long the route was and the length of the rope. after completing the route the belayer was lowering the leader and lowered him off the end of the rope.

is this correct?

--al
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:47:37 am by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline ethatch

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
Thats what it sounds like. Some of the routes in this area have second pitches, it's conceivable that the climber could've gone right up to the second anchor thinking it was the first . There's also some routes where some one could belay up hill and then lower some one way downhill which would add to length. Metamorphis comes to mind for both of these scenarios. Not excuses for "seasoned climbers" to make this kind of mistake, but it could be why
"If you got the fuckin' spirit you rock, if you don't.....your a sport climber"
    -leonard Coyne

HangingChad

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »
I know sesame street can cause some issues if you are belaying from the ground.

Offline rparker

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »
I believe that I found the gear today (4/20) left at the anchor by the accident party.  If anyone knows the two climbers, have them email me, and I will get their gear back to them.

Richard

Offline WanderlustMD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »
Sounds like they will be ok, luckily. Everyone be careful.

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »
IMO not closing your system = un-seasoned climbers... but that's just me...

Simple mistakes we (climbers) have been making for many many years... that are EASILY avoided...

Seek proper instruction please!

Offline JBourque

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:32:54 am »
so let me get this straight? 2 "seasoned' climbers were at the Main Cliff at Rumney. before they started climbing they joked about how long the route was and the length of the rope. after completing the route the belayer was lowering the leader and lowered him off the end of the rope.

is this correct?

--al

Hi Al,

I sent you a personal message. Do you mind letting me know if you recieved it? It didn't seem like it was sending.

Offline oldmansmith

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:31:59 pm »
Sunday...I was right there in the morning but then carried on to Bonsai and Waimea.  Interestingly, on Monday I raised the anchors on "Metamorphasis" so that you actually have to finish the crux and then do another 5.7 bulge.   A 60 meter rope makes it, unless you stand away from the cliff.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:33:37 pm »
Nice, Ward. Thanks for doing the work.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline oldmansmith

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:31 pm »
What is funny is that as I was doing it I was thinking "some knucklehead is going to belay in the woods and lower their partner off the end of the rope here."  It does make it better, maybe the best 5.8 in Rumney. Oh well, just proves that sport climbing is either.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:01:16 pm »
Thank you much for the work. It really makes sense to do the extra moves. you could do it in one long pitch but you still need the rap station anyways.