NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Change  (Read 145 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Forum Change
« on: October 22, 2003, 09:30:39 AM »

after thinking about it a lot I have decided to turn off the global switch that allows people to hide their email addresses behind the Pseudonym. that's not to say that you can't set up a hotmail address with a fictitous name and use that. however it has the potential to keeping things just a bit more open and above board. in addition, you can always click on the poster's name to see their profile, or what profile that they have entered.

I would urge folks who post to seriously consider actually signing their name to postings. it's one thing to anonymously post to one of those wierd forums out there on the web, but this is and should be a bit different. the general issues here are directly pertinent to us all. making strong statements and hiding behind an alias makes your position less viable.

just my 2 cents...

Al
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 09:34:28 AM by admin »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Forum Change
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 09:55:20 AM »

Are you talking about taking away the people's right to remain anonymous by giving exposure to the email address (fake or not) ?

If so, I say, do NOT do this because it is a choice they make upon registration.

If you do this, then make it very APPARENT that their email address will not remain confidential.

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 10:04:01 AM »

Hey Al-
I have to say that I seriously object to having email addresses involuntarily revealed.  First, my only email address is at work, and I don't really want my work email out there for anyone who wants it.

Second, I think that folks will be much less willing to post on controversial topics if other posters will be able to email them directly.  We should keep the forum discussions confined to this bulletin board and out of people's inboxes.

Finally, I think some posters wish to remain anonymous for legitimate reasons.  Guides, business owners, etc., may not want their opinions associated with their employer/business...which I can understand.

Please allow us the option to keep our email addresses to ourselves...otherwise, I and most likely others may withdraw from this forum.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 10:10:28 AM by jeffc »
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 12:16:57 PM »

ok ok, so I've changed it back. didn't mean to raise such as fuss.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

scottie_c

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 01:30:37 PM »

Thats what happens when you start talking about taking people's right to privacy away :o

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 02:44:32 PM »

Thanks Al!  Sorry if we came on a bit strong.... ;D

slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 07:19:52 PM »

I agree with scottie c and dogboy on this one, Al.  On-line BBS anonymity is a tradition that I agree with, as it allow salient commentary from people whose identities they prefer to hide.  LOTS of people read this site, as should appear evident from all the viewings of Debolting Thin Air... hence I'd like to remain anonymous online.  In person you know who I am anyway (as do several others).

This is another reason I have seven valid email addresses right now (and counting)

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 08:07:11 AM »

I agree with allowing people to keep their personal or business e-mail addresses private. However I think that hiding behind pseudonyms while posting diatribes towards other individuals or their actions is cowardly. As for guides and other employees, if they have opinions about climbing ethics such as the current bolting -debolting discussions, they should be willing to be identified with those opinions. Such openness might save us all from some of the random negative spraying and macho posturing to which we've been subjected for the past month (although I admit some of it has been mildly entertaining).  I just feel that if you're going to take a stand, then take a stand dammit and say who you are. Dana and Bayard have certainly been willing to do so, and I admire them for it although I don't totally agree with the removal of the TA belay platform bolts. Jeff Lea

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 09:12:58 AM »

Personaly I think that this site is more about real issues and conditions etc in the north conway/cannon area that the mindless drivel of many other climbing sites.. I dont like to have to sign my name every time I post ( too lazy ) but feel that it would be nice if people were honest about who they are. It is a good idea to either have a hot mail type box or keep your email hidden as I have been stalked from another site and it sucks.  I think It would be a great Idea to make it manditory that your profile stated your real name and location. It shouldn't be your adress but at least the state. Your town could be optional. If you don't have the sack to own up to who you are, you shouldn't be spraying smack.  nick
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 09:15:49 AM by tradmanclimbz »

haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 07:17:18 PM »

I've also noticed the diatribes decrease as individuals sign for thier works. Like Jeff says, you may not agree but it shows conviction. -Fred

jim_frati

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2003, 03:50:35 PM »

Al I think a persons right to privacy should be protected and that you should not make their email addresses known for public use.  On the other hand I feel that people should use their real names and not hide behind a code name, so to speak.  How genuine can their words of wisdom be if they hide behind names as dogboy,  who would name themselves dogboy anyway. :) ;)    

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 06:09:46 AM »

I know where you live, Jim....

:P ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 23 queries.