NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rummey solution? (seriously)  (Read 1713 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rummey solution? (seriously)
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »

It looks like Jake caught Strand disease  :D ;D

Quick, quarantine the thread.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:42:54 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »

I would be happy to end this thread with some words of wisdom  ;) If you don';t like the area- don't climb there
  " the routes that garner the most respect , are those put up on lead, on sight, with bolts drilled free and on lead " Ed Webster

That's the way i climb ( or try to).

I'm not telling you how to climb but it's not construction, it's climbing. Maybe if people spent A LITTLE time outside- then they could be aware of things like trail erosion, dead trees or DANGER.

I don't think that climbing areas need babysitters (yet)

TAKE some responsibilty for yourself.

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »

Blueberry up my but? Thats a good one, made me laugh, thanks Mark.
So I looked around again while I was at rumney sunday, I climbed at Triple Corners and looked at the hillside. I can see a little of what could be a concern but I still feel it could be "Fixed" in a more thoughtful way other than creating a terrace with more pressure treated lumber that we can all agree has no place in Rumney.Has anyone noticed the quality of the stone in the area that could and would be a better option? Hell, if it really bothered people they could have spent the time it took looking for someone else to do the work and had gotten the job done themselvs. The thing that is driving me nuts is how all the posts and bitching about what is wrong is creating a mountain out of a mole hill. If we keep on crying to the forest service we are going to end up with a big thoughtless shithole that nobody but the gym rats and Jake want to climb at. And yes the stair master could have been avoided as well and is a flippin travisty. Oh, and did I mention the chisled steps at Orange Crush? They are a mess and did not need to happen, period. So keep asking and see what you get or do the work yourself. But please do not ruin my experience because you cant use a shovel,bar or hacksaw. You can jump ship on this conversation but what has been done will not go away. Mike  

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »

...l it could be "Fixed" in a more thoughtful way other than creating a terrace with more pressure treated lumber that we can all agree has no place in Rumney. Has anyone noticed the quality of the stone in the area that could and would be a better option?
Mike, like you, I was at Triple Corners on Sunday looking the area around Rack For Sale over by myself.  I then ranged out about 100 feet or so from there looking for big stones which can be moved and used.  I did find some but perhaps not enough of them.  Second opinion, anyone?  I think all agree that PT lumber should be used as last resort.  I can't imagine anyone wants to have the platform under Orang Hang replicated at Triple Corners.  So, Mike or anyone else, if you have constructive and explicit suggestions on how to improve the base and trail around Rack For Sale, please offer them.  I cannot speak for everyone but I like to hear and learn something from them. 
Details of Adopt-A-Crag Day work, planned for Sep 25 and/or 26, will be forthcoming; hopefully soon and hopefully to  include improving the base of and trail at Triple Corner Right.  And hopefully the level of participation will be high.
As we have witnessed, even with the best of intentions, work performed by the Forest Service can be 'over scoped' and overdone.  So, it might be in our collective interest to keep as much of the maintenance work at Rumney in volunteers' hands as possible.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »

Smitty and I did some work around Rack for sale a couple years ago to at least solidify a few spots at the base. I think we only had a small bar that day so could only do what we could. There were some bigger rocks there to work with, but down the rest of triple corners to the base they are lacking. They tend to be oddly shaped there and very hard to work with. You might find some scouring further afield, but we don't have the technology to move them very far except down. Personally I don't like the idea of pressure treated terraces either, unless there is no other way to harden the area. I do like the stairs up towards Armed and Dangerous. I actually think they are kind of cool looking and whoever designed them had a good eye for making them fit into the area as well as possible. I'm not sure I would like to see more of them though unless there had to be. A good design that has some whimsy while being practical can helps to offset the jarring effect of the unnatural materials.

Volunteer days and moving big rocks don't mix well. It is better to have a professional team or a couple people used to working with bars go at it on their own time. If I have time later in the season I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. It is a little hard though. It is a popular spot and right when you get started a bunch of people usually show up and get in the way or get impatient that they can't get right on that 5.7 while you finish placing a rock..

I think a good use of volunteers on crag day would be to finish the trail from the small parking lot to the base of the stairs and install some good signs. There has got to be somebody with a router who could whip some out.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

Yeah, Mark, I realized quite quickly that the larger rocks more than 50 or so feet from Rack For Sale will require machinery or extreme creativity to move to where they are needed.  Probably like you, I scrounged the gully uphill from Rack in the hope of finding large flattish rocks, but to no avail.  Is your big crow bar out at Green's?
OK, we will wait to learn the details Bob, Kori, et al come up with.  As you said, the roadside trail from the small parking lot to the wooden stair case is already blue-blazed.  Looks doable by plain olde volunteers.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »

Is your big crow bar out at Green's?

No, it is in my basement, but I have yet to straighten it out from it's Main Cliff mishap. Trail crews use come-alongs, pully systems and webbing to move rocks up, but I have never done that myself. I wish I was there when the AMC crew was working to observe.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

epoch

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • jay a.
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »

No, it is in my basement, but I have yet to straighten it out from it's Main Cliff mishap. Trail crews use come-alongs, pully systems and webbing to move rocks up, but I have never done that myself. I wish I was there when the AMC crew was working to observe.

Think of it as a rescue haul on steroids. The trick is keeping the load slung. I've also seen them use cable tramways to move loads as well.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.